It's Equinox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
My copy of "Equinox" arrived today. The "special packaging" is a reproduction of the LP sleeve in lieu of a jewel case. Pristine sound. This release preserves the original SP number, as well as the ochre A&M label. The "obi strip" (what do you call that when it's a USA release? :confused: ) says it will be available through 5/2005.

Glad to hear they plan to keep it in print 3 more years.
An answer to your question about the U.S. name for an obi strip: a wan kanobe strip?
JB

Great. Sounds like it's well-mastered. How does it compare to the old Japanese version?

Harry
...awaiting the EQUINOX arrival as the solstice approaches, online...

Well, first off, I do not claim to be the audiophile that you and some others here are, but, the first thing I noticed was--virtually no tape hiss, yet at the same time, the highs are quite transparent. The "obi wan kenobe" strip states that it's 96kHz, 24-bit, which, IIRC, is a bit better than Look Around (but I may be making that up!). They've done a nice job all around. Now, where are the REST of the ones we want so much?

I always crack up at that 24-bit/96kHz nonsense...that's all fine and dandy, but I still don't hear much appreciable difference since you STILL have to downsample it to 16-bit/44.1kHz to even master it to a CD. :confused: (Allegedly, this is supposed to improve accuracy during quieter passages. Few know that the lower the signal on a CD, the higher the distortion is, since you run out of "bits" to represent the signal.) At least they apparently have it mastered at the 24/96 resolution level, so future digital media will be able to take advantage of it.

It's amusing that the CD is a 16-bit digital audio format, and yet some early players (I believe those made with internal circuitry produced by Philips) actually had 14-bit resolution and sounded just fine! In fact, my long-dead Nakamichi is still one of the best players I've ever heard for smoothness and accuracy, and it, too, was a 14-bit player.

At least they didn't put that "tube remastering" crap on top of it. That, to me, is as bad as using a $3000 Nikon camera with a dirty lens.

Looking forward to hearing this when I can "score" a copy of it. First thing I do is put it into a REAL jewel case! I'll go sharpen the paper cutter. :D

-= N =-

I arrived home to find my amazon.com package jammed into my mailbox. After struggling to pry it loose, I eagerly opened it, knowing it was to be my prized new copy of EQUINOX.

Instead, the amazon doofuses (doofi?) sent me Disney's Greatest Volume 1. So, I don't know whether to be mad or just sing "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!"

Harry
...heigh-ho, online...

Harry said:
I arrived home to find my amazon.com package jammed into my mailbox. After struggling to pry it loose, I eagerly opened it, knowing it was to be my prized new copy of EQUINOX.

Uh-oh, another postal episode! :D

Harry said:
Instead, the amazon doofuses (doofi?) sent me Disney's Greatest Volume 1. So, I don't know whether to be mad or just sing "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!"

I'd go with the mad routine. People will look at you funny if you do the other. :rolleyes:

Capt. Bacardi
...being no help whatsoever online...

They are probably too young to remember the song anyway.
You should be entitled to reimbursement for sending the wrong item back and having the new one sent to you, at least.

Amazon provides an online postal return form with postage paid, so it's not too much of a hassle -- other than I really WANT the new EQUINOX!

Harry
...frustrated, online...

I plan on ordering Equinox and a couple of the new Andy Williams two-fers sometime this week! Joe, who was rather ticked when he ordered a Brasil '66 CD last year and found that the case was cracked! (what do they do crunch these things in between boulders?) :evil:

CDNow does the same. If an item is wrong, or even damaged in transit, they issue a post-paid label to stick to the package to send it back...then they resend the new item w/o question.

-= N =-
...Wings 1/Avalanche 0...

Mr. Postman pulled a fast one today. Our mail arrived around 2 or so this afternoon, and was full of the usual junk that comes on Saturday. I had already gotten a confirmation from amazon that they shipped the replacement EQUINOX to me, so I was looking for it today. About 6, I finally decided to mow the lawn, opened the front door and THERE IT WAS. I put the mowing on hold long enough to do a quick check of the new disc. As JM described, it's just like a mini-LP, with a cloth-paper innersleeve. The label looks indentical in style to the Verve re-issues of LOOK AROUND, EDU LOBO, etc from 2000. But the big story is that it DOES sound better than the old Japanese release, nice and crisp and clean like LOOK AROUND.

Good stuff!

Harry
...done mowing and back online...

No mowing today, but I still spent several hours outside cleaning up the yard. Ended up moving the 100-CD changer to the upstairs system, which is connected to the wiring outside. Nice to hear 7 or 8 CDs of my own choosing vs. the radio ad nauseum. (And no, this hasn't been an A&M day at all...sorry!)

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom