"It's Going to Take Some Time" Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

What CD does this appear on?- the one with the new keyboard part...
I can't find it.

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
It's on the "Greatest Hits" SACD. It doesn't thrill me and, in my opinion, you aren't missing much.

I completely agree, Ed.

It can also be found on the earlier CD release of "A Song For You", including the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab's 24k gold disc release of the same name and a few other random compilations.

The additional recording/remix was done in the late '80's when Richard went through that "Let's replace the original keyboard tracks with a Yamaha DX-7" phase. Too "dated" in my opinion. Although I *do* believe that the last half of the flute solo in the remix was edited from an alternate "take", giving it a fresher vibe, so there is that benefit so-to-speak.

All that to say that I still prefer the original 'punchier' version with the acoustic piano that was recorded and doubled with the Wurlitzer electric piano.

Chris May said:
I completely agree, Ed.

It can also be found on the earlier CD release of "A Song For You", including the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab's 24k gold disc release of the same name and a few other random compilations.

The additional recording/remix was done in the late '80's when Richard went through that "Let's replace the original keyboard tracks with a Yamaha DX-7" phase. Too "dated" in my opinion. Although I *do* believe that the last half of the flute solo in the remix was edited from an alternate "take", giving it a fresher vibe, so there is that benefit so-to-speak.

All that to say that I still prefer the original 'punchier' version with the acoustic piano that was recorded and doubled with the Wurlitzer electric piano.

Is it just my ears or is the remix somewhat more noisy too? I think I'm hearing more "hiss" in it than in the original version. Also, I've noticed that when he replaces the original keyboard, it somehow doesn't match the vocal. It's not a timing thing, mind you. If you're going to do an overdub to replace an instrument, it should sound like it's part of the recording. Particularly on this track, the DX-7 doesn't sound like a part of the track. It sounds like exactly what it is - an overdub.

Richard has also done some piano replacements over the years ("Bless The Beasts...", "We've Only Just Begun", etc.) On both of those tracks, the new piano tracks don't march in time with the track. They seem to speed up and slow down at various intervals. I know it's difficult to march in perfect time (especially if there's no "click") but if you can't do it, you shouldn't try.

Ed

I have both the SACD and "gold" CD; and while I do recall the remix appearing for the first time on gold, it was with the original lead vocal. The SACD has an alternate lead vocal - right? Or am I just hearing things?

Mike

no1kandrfan said:
The SACD has an alternate lead vocal - right? Or am I just hearing things?

You're correct Mike. The vocal on the SACD is the "work lead" vocal, and not the master lead. Richard threw this in as sort of a 'bonus', since the work lead was so good to begin with.

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
Richard has also done some piano replacements over the years ("Bless The Beasts...", "We've Only Just Begun", etc.) On both of those tracks, the new piano tracks don't march in time with the track. They seem to speed up and slow down at various intervals. I know it's difficult to march in perfect time (especially if there's no "click") but if you can't do it, you shouldn't try.

You think those are strange, you should listen to "Yesterday Once More". If you have the instrumental remix off of the Karaoke album (released in Japan), give it a listen, particularly at around bar 6. Somehow when Karen's lead is in there it isn't as obvious, but I just can't figure out why he didn't just do another take and cut the piano a little more evenly where the timing is concerned.

Chris,

Thanks for confirming the timing issue with the piano on YOM. I have the karaoke album and when I first heard YOM on it I was startled by how much the piano sounded off to me, timing-wise, particularly in the beginning. But not being a musician I just assumed I was the one with the problem!

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom