Jack Daugherty & Class of 1971-SP3038

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimac51

Does anyone have an opinion on this album? I putting the thread here in Carpenterland because of Jack's ties to Carpenters. I finally found of copy of this(DJ promo,naturally-I have never seen a retail copy) at our local Music Expo. It is full of expectations and surprises. I would have expected this to be a nice,polite well recorded instrumental album. Well recorded,it is. But it is all original compositions and much jazzier than I would have thought. The cream of LA musicians(Hall Blaine Joe Osborne and Chuck Findley are just a few-guess with it being Daugherty's album Larry Knechtel didn't need to show up for keyboard duty). The short timings also do not give you a clue as how jazzy these pieces are and I suspect that was its shortcoming when it was released-too jazzy for MOR radio and too polished for other formats). Boy,Chuck Findley really gets to shine as an individual here,not the chameleon costume he is usually relegated to wearing. Very reminiscent of Bacharach's A&M work. Mac

I need to give this one a listen. I've had it for years -- picked it up as a radio station throwaway and it's languished on my record shelf for years. I grabbed it because it was from Jack Daugherty, a name I recognized as a producer of Carpenters' material, and because it was on A&M.

I'm reasonably sure it's a promo copy, given its source, but I'll have to check.

Harry
...killing time while waiting for computer repairs at work, online...

I don't recall...did this one get onto a CD, or no? (I'm thinking it didn't.) Never was sure what to expect from this one, but now the curiosity's getting me. :wink:

-= N =-

No CD version of SP 3038 that I know of, but this doesn't surprise me. I also have a promo I picked up for a buck. After playing it, I can't hum a single tune. There's lots of inventive noodling here and there, but nothing memorable. I keep it on the shelf, being a completist.
JB

IIRC, wasn't Daugherty a trumpet player in a big band at one point (before his "production" years)?

-= N =-

The liner's say Mr. Daugherty spent some time with Woody Herman's trumpet section. The critique about noodling is fair,but I think this is noodling of a pretty high calibre. I'd rather listen to Hal Blaine coughing in a studio than many "rock" drummers performing their craft. A nice nod to the players are indiviual posed photos,yearbook style(but not as a joke)to these usually hidden session men. This was a gatefold with a page insert,not a rarity for A&M but still pricy for its time,especially for an album which,even as it was recorded,they knew had limited $$$ payback. Philly Intl used a similar technique on their only Thad Jones/Mel Lewis album and it was a class gesture. Mac

By the way there's a copy of a UK version of SP 3038 for sale on Ebay right now (9 days to go). Good front cover scan, in case one is needed for the future AOTW.

It's not a bad album, but the lack of a memorable tune (one I can hum while driving down the road) is noticable. Call me simple minded. There are many concept albums which affect me this way. Impressive credentials, all-star cast, copious liner notes and lovely artwork. But, like eating cotton candy, I'm left with an empty feeling when it's over. WINGS (SPX 4281/SP 3503) is in this category.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom