Janet Jackson

Cuyler

Bright colored pinwheels go 'round in my head.
I'm not sure if there are too many people here who like Janet Jackson, but I received to CDs in the mail today: CD 5106 (Control) and CD 3920 (Rhythm Nation 1814).

I have to say, I've never heard first pressings of either CD until today, and both live up to expectations. I grew up hearing the single versions of a lot of these songs, whether it be on the radio, at the supermarket, or even on my mom's boom box with our Janet Jackson cassette tapes! It's very nice to hear these songs with *just enough* peak limiting/digital processing, and a little bit more dynamic range than what I'm used to.

Janet was an A&M artist, and I have to say, I thoroughly enjoy her collaborations with Herb Alpert. I enjoy her and Lisa Keith's vocals on Keep Your Eye On Me, and likewise, I do appreciate that Herb played trumpet on Janet's solo albums! Lots of talent, and lots of great '80s energy. :)

I agree Control and Rhythm Nation along with her work With Herb Alpert Are her Best Works ever And it was her producers Jimmy jam and Terry Lewis who were working with Herb on Some of "Keep your Eye on me" and through that Janet Was brought on board and as you know it Gave Herb Another Huge hit

I'm a big fan of the Minneapolis sound, so these albums fit right in with what I was listening to at the time. And discovering Herb's album was going to have some Jam & Lewis-produced tunes made it all that much better. ("Pillow" is my favorite of the four tunes--it really nails the downtempo Minneapolis sound.)

These were Janet's third and fourth albums for A&M. The first album, self-titled, had some radio hits ("Say You Do" and "Come Give Your Love To Me," and "Young Love" also got a little airtime), and the album kind of played on the "Michael's baby sister" novelty, with "Say You Do" stealing some licks and changes from "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough." The second album, Dream Street, didn't go anywhere--pleasant but not all that memorable. I was going to forget about Control until I learned of the Jam & Lewis connection, and it knocked me out the first time I heard it.

Indeed Control Really put Miss Jackson on the musical map before that I never heard her previous A&M albums judging by what I read here about them I guess I wasn't missing much but then again I never heard them and still haven't as of yet

Her debut at least had a few minor hits on it, but overall both albums were pretty much generic pop/R&B at the time. If you hear these three, that's plenty. 😁

This got missed totally on the "Dream Street" record. Other than David Foster, Greg Phillinganes is the greatest Moog bass player I've ever heard. He just kills this!

Ed

Back
Top Bottom