Japanese CDs from concerts??

Song4uman

Found a new site today called cdsvinyljapan.com

Have several CDs with Obi and are from various concerts.
Live in Japan 1972
Live in New York 1971
Live In Amsterdam 1976

Real?

Jonathan

Found a new site today called cdsvinyljapan.com

Have several CDs with Obi and are from various concerts.
Live in Japan 1972
Live in New York 1971
Live In Amsterdam 1976

Real?

Jonathan
Some of them are also incorrectly titled. For example, I think ‘Live in Japan 1972’ is actually the 1974 Budokan concert, which was officially released but not in that form, (I think this so-called 1972 concert has ‘Yesterday Once More” on it, which wasn’t even created in 1972), and I think that ‘Live in New York 1971’ is actually the 1971 British BBC TV concert.

I bought the ‘Live in Japan 1972’ DVD some years ago, which I found to be the 1974 Budokan concert, which I already had in better quality on officially-released DVD and laser disc. This was probably just copied illegally from a dvd.

There was an officially-released CD, DVD, video and laserdisc of ‘Live at the Budokan’, as well as promo material such as a 1990s interview with Richard, but watch out for the bootlegs.

The ‘Live in New York 1871’ would just be a copy of a copy recorded from one of the BBC TV screenings (of the British concert).

I’m guessing that these CDs are just audio taken from these copies of copies. I have a similar CD which is actually sold in bona-fide music stores but is just an illegal copy of the audio from a BBC transmission.

Amazon has been selling these counterfeits for years. I’m not sure how they get away with it.

Last edited:
Some of them are also incorrectly titled. For example, I think ‘Live in Japan 1972’ is actually the 1974 Budokan concert, which was officially released but not in that form, (I think this so-called 1972 concert has ‘Yesterday Once More” on it, which wasn’t even created in 1972), and I think that ‘Live in New York 1971’ is actually the 1971 British BBC TV concert.

I bought the ‘Live in Japan 1972’ DVD some years ago, which I found to be the 1974 Budokan concert, which I already had in better quality on officially-released DVD and laser disc. This was probably just copied illegally from a dvd.

There was an officially-released CD, DVD, video and laserdisc of ‘Live at the Budokan’, as well as promo material such as a 1990s interview with Richard, but watch out for the bootlegs.

The ‘Live in New York 1871’ would just be a copy of a copy recorded from one of the BBC TV screenings (of the British concert).

I’m guessing that these CDs are just audio taken from these copies of copies. I have a similar CD which is actually sold in bona-fide music stores but is just an illegal copy of the audio from a BBC transmission.

Amazon has been selling these counterfeits for years. I’m not sure how they get away with it.
You also have to watch the DVD’s as well, since some of those DVD’s are mastered incorrectly. I have two or three copies of that BBC concert. One is the “Live In London” (2010) DVD, “Live On Stage” (2012?) and a third copy. Anyway, the DVD authors of “Live On Stage”, for some strange reason stretched the image into 16:9. They didn’t crop it, they stretched the 4:3 image to fill the 16:9 widescreen format. So if you’re watching the DVD on an old 4:3 CRT TV, the image will have black bars on the top and bottom, and Karen & Richard will be stretched. Although, one thing that I will say is really nice about the DVD is that they encoded the audio in Dolby Digital 2.0 & 5.1and DTS 5.1. And the DTS track is really clear and is more powerful than either of the DD tracks since the DTS track is encoded at 1.5 Mbps, (I usually play it in stereo) whereas, going from memory, the DD 2.0 is 192 kbps and the DD 5.1 448 kbps. The 5.1 mixes are just matrixed from the mono Japanese broadcast tape.

The “Live On Stage” DVD also received its own stand-alone CD release.

Back
Top Bottom