Japanese Single Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the singles box from Amazon Japan today. Mine is #146. It is a very nice set, though I preferred the packaging on the Japanese Madonna CD Single Collection, where each 3-inch CD slid into its own groove in a larger box.

With just a cursory listen, I do have to agree that "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" is probably a disc dub. It sure is great to have "I Kept On Loving You" with the full, clean opening, though.

I have been listening to my new box set in my car for the past 2 weeks straight in fact I've not been listening to anything else these past 2 weeks. I am very happy I bought this set. Except for the few songs that are duplicated I feel in the long run it's worth the money spent.

Something that has not been discussed on this set and wondered if anyone can chime in. Since there is not much written about this set at least in English that I know of, I am assuming these were all mastered from the original 45's of course taken from the Japan releases. It seems to me that each song was really worked on in a separate manner for each 3" disc. Something I wanted to mention...when a compilation of songs are put together onto a disc or 2 (speaking of regular sized CD's) I would think that one of the things the producer (Richard or whoever) would do is adjust the sound level so it is the same throughout the entire disc or discs. However since listening to these in my car in the exact same order they appear on these 3"discs running one song after the other, I noticed some songs appear closer or brighter than say some others. Hard to put into words. Of course all were recorded at different times in Karen and Richard's life but on a usual compilation from Richard like say Carpenters Gold 35th Anniv Discs the volume remains pretty much the same thoughout the discs sorta like the warmth of the songs are not as evident as when you listen to a bunch of 45's. Anyone know what I'm talking about? This box set sounds great to me I love it, I'm actually really pleased with how these turned out and there are some gems of some first time on digital format. It's just weird to hear the 45's on a digital format sequing into one another song after song and hearing the difference in recording technics used in the recording studio for each year these singles were made....at the sound level they were used on the 45 when broadcasted over the air back in the 70's and 80's. Im glad to finally have a professionally made digital disc of these instead of my homemade 45's.

I'd still love for Richard to release a singles box set with the U.S. singles.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I'd still love for Richard to release a singles box set with the U.S. singles.

I'm sure Richard would probably love to. It's Universal that would decide whether to release one or not.

But I'm really perplexed about no "Ticket to Ride / All I Can Do " single versions. That's the big disappointment in this set -- the leadoff single is the wrong version.

Yeah, you're right, Chris. A good mastering engineer should do his best to make sure that the levels are fairly consistent throughout. I tend to "Normalize" each track (adjust the level to make sure each track is as close to "0" as possible without going over). If you do that for all tracks, the levels should match up quite well. Also, compression will play a role in whether some songs sound brighter than others. I personally abhor the use of compression when remastering and I never use it.

In short, the mastering engineer for a compilation like this has a really tough job and it appears he didn't do the greatest job.

Ed

superbu said:
But I'm really perplexed about no "Ticket to Ride / All I Can Do " single versions. That's the big disappointment in this set -- the leadoff single is the wrong version.

It's the correct version for Japan. Over there, that first single was released with the album versions, just as they appear on this little 3" CD. If a US set were to be compiled, then we'd want the US single versions of "Ticket" and "Wonderful Parade", it's flip side, and both in mono. And actually there two different versions of "Your Wonderful Parade" on 45, one slightly longer than the other.

Harry

Thanks, Harry.

I hate to break this to everybody, but I'm almost positive that "Calling Occupants" is a disc dub, too. The sound is not as clear as what you would expect from a tape source, and listen through headphones to that rumble at the very end of the song -- that is telltale vinyl disc rumble.

My friend Aaron edited the song down from the album version, and it sounds much better than it does on this set.

I'm not surprised at all that vinyl was used to source some of these tracks - in fact, to me it shows that someone cared enough to be authentic as to seek out and use the correct version - and these might be the reason the set was delayed almost a year. According to Yuka, the delays were often about ensuring that the correct versions of songs were used.

We know that in the US, single mixes and edits were all stored on large reels of tape, mixing artists of all genres together. It's no wonder that some of these original mixes were lost to the ravages of time and space. I have no actual information as to whether these were sourced from Japanese submasters or original Hollywood masters, nor whether that information is even included in the Japanese text. My suspicions are that they used whatever they had around in Japan at the various record companied that issued Carpenters recordings originally (King Records, Canyon Records, etc.) There is some kind of notation on the back of the booklet about Disc 6 B ("Merry Christmas Darling"), Disc 17 B ("Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"), Disc 11 B, and Disc 15 B (both "Druscilla Penny") Also the box below it has notations about "EP" and "LP". Perhaps Yuka or Sakura can fill us in on that.

Harry

Harry said:
We know that in the US, single mixes and edits were all stored on large reels of tape, mixing artists of all genres together. It's no wonder that some of these original mixes were lost to the ravages of time and space. I have no actual information as to whether these were sourced from Japanese submasters or original Hollywood masters, nor whether that information is even included in the Japanese text. My suspicions are that they used whatever they had around in Japan at the various record companied that issued Carpenters recordings originally (King Records, Canyon Records, etc.) There is some kind of notation on the back of the booklet about Disc 6 B ("Merry Christmas Darling"), Disc 17 B ("Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"), Disc 11 B, and Disc 15 B (both "Druscilla Penny") Also the box below it has notations about "EP" and "LP". Perhaps Yuka or Sakura can fill us in on that.
Harry

Yes Harry I remember Yuka indicating that the delay was to ensure the correct version was used on the box set.

Perhaps this is one of the main reasons why Richard has not tackled this project for the U.S. Knowing Richard if there is a possibility that several tape masters are not available it may prove too great a task for him to do. I'm sure Richard knows what is available and what would be more difficult to obtain if at all still available at this day and age. It's a shame he didn't work on something like this back in the middle 80's. In a way we have been graced with so many re-mixes, re-masters, re-edits over the years from compilations containing more re-mixes than original mixes that the original 45 versions somehow got lost along the way only trickling down on various compilations over the years.

This Japanese Singles Box set may not be perfect but at this point it's all we got and unless Richard is even considering releasing something like this for the U.S. than we probably won't see a U.S. version for the next 5 yrs maybe longer.

...who would also love for Yuka or Sakura to shed any more light on this subject if possible...

davidgra said:
Covering a question someone else had, "I Won't Last a Day Without You" is virtually identical to the "Remastered Classics" version of the song -- same tape speed/pitch and everything. Even though the song appears on two different singles in the set, the recordings are identical.
David

Hmm, not on my set. One uses the LP version, and the other the single versin with the electric guitar overdub.

By the way, did you know the 45 (in the US, anyway) was slightly sped up? According to another board I post on, where people are sticklers for "correct single versions," the US 45 was the guitar-overdub mix, but sped up to 3:46, whereas all CD issues of this mix run 3:49.

I may help translation, but I'm only a fan. Inside informations were always
brought by Yuka or Mitch(350hunny).

From my post to another forum last year
B side of DISC-6 and B side of DISC 17 are the same version.
B side of DISC-11 and B side of DISC 15 are the same version.

Regarding EP and LP,
they say that they don't sell EP LP.

Yuka, Mitch and and OKEN's names are on the booklet.
You may send an email to Oken. (Yuka told us what Oken did for this set before.)
http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~oken/carpentershihoukan.html

Talking about adjusting the sound level, this box set is not for a few CD set, individual single format. So I think that it is the best to be faithful to Japanese singles.
To be faithful to original doesn't mean not great mastering.

I sent a request to Universal Music that I also would like to listen to another CD set which has songs from this box set. If they make CD set from this box set, they shall adjust the sound level.

Yuka told us when she wrote liner notes for this set. At that time it was not sure which versions would be on this set.
"SINGLES" Box Set Clarification from Richard;

Sakura

superbu said:
davidgra said:
Covering a question someone else had, "I Won't Last a Day Without You" is virtually identical to the "Remastered Classics" version of the song -- same tape speed/pitch and everything. Even though the song appears on two different singles in the set, the recordings are identical.
David

Hmm, not on my set. One uses the LP version, and the other the single versin with the electric guitar overdub.

If you read on further through the thread, you'll find that this was addressed already. I recognized immediately that the two versions were different.

By the way, did you know the 45 (in the US, anyway) was slightly sped up? According to another board I post on, where people are sticklers for "correct single versions," the US 45 was the guitar-overdub mix, but sped up to 3:46, whereas all CD issues of this mix run 3:49.

Again, this has been addressed a few times over the years.

Harry

FRIENDS:

I need your help.

I am working on documenting all of the information possible on this box set.

If you can help me with scans, YOUR REVIEWS, and any information, I would be totally thrilled. (You will be credited!)

Please see my site at www.thecarpenters.tk
The page on the Singles Box set, the link is underneath the "Welcome" photo.

I am working on making my site as "for the people" and "by the people" of the Carpenters fans. Please send me a PM. Thanks a lot!

Harry said:

Again, this has been addressed a few times over the years.

Harry

Sorry... I did a search and didn't find anything on the subject.

I know this is a really old topic but I wanted to place this where most appropriate in case someone searches later. I wanted to bring back the topic of the 45 single of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town". I have a U.S. white label promo for Santa Claus one side stereo the other is mono. The stereo side contains the Haeco CSG processing (the run out on the 45 clearly shows CSG) which exhibits a phasey all over the place sound. So I often wondered did the Japan stereo 45 also contain this CSG processing? Well I ordered the Japan Single 45 and can confirm that it does NOT contain the CSG processing.

The picture sleeve is mint and the 45 is about VG+ nice gloss but there is evident of some surface noise in about 2 places for about 3-5 seconds, mostly towards the end when all the brass plays right before the classic ending vocals by Karen & Richard.

So it makes sense that Japan could have used their own Japan single stereo 45 version for the Japan Single Box Collection because as mentioned earlier in this thread if you listen closely with headphones of Santa Claus that appears on the Japan Single Box Collection you can hear some faint distortion or the classic "S" sound coming through which makes me think it might have been lifted from a 45....since this was the Singles Box Collection....they could have done that with their single 45.

SantaClausJapanLabel.jpg~original

SantaClausJapanSingle45Front.jpg~original

SantaClausJapanSingle45Back.jpg~original

I see that the Japanese lyrics refer to the Tim Allen SANTA CLAUSe movie title...quite unintentionally, I'm sure.

Harry

If you remember Sakura from the forums here....a long time ago she sent me a care package of goodies and one of them was this Japan promo ad flyer of the Japan Single Box Set. I'm not sure what the promo verbiage on the front says but it's pretty cool!!!
It measures about 8.5 by 6 inches. Here is front and back scan.

Japan%20Single%20Box%20Collection%20Promo%20Ad%20Flyer%20Front.jpg~original

Japan%20Single%20Box%20Collection%20Promo%20Ad%20Flyer%20Back.jpg~original

If you remember Sakura from the forums here....a long time ago she sent me a care package of goodies and one of them was this Japan promo ad flyer of the Japan Single Box Set. I'm not sure what the promo verbiage on the front says but it's pretty cool!!!
It measures about 8.5 by 6 inches. Here is front and back scan.

Japan%20Single%20Box%20Collection%20Promo%20Ad%20Flyer%20Front.jpg~original

Japan%20Single%20Box%20Collection%20Promo%20Ad%20Flyer%20Back.jpg~original
I wonder what happened to Sakura. I hope she is well and just very busy. I enjoyed her posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom