Japanese wave of Sergio Mendes titles 2/08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic here, but one of the coolest things about "Dreamer" on ENCANTO is that it's the first time Herb, Sergio and Lani all perform on the same track! Amazing, after all these years.

Just when you thought there were enough B’66 compilations out there, here is one more:

Sergio Mendes & Brasil ’66 Best Hits The Look Of Love
UCCU-1170.jpg

And, just when I thought I had enough of Sergio’s compilations, I go and buy this one too! Oh, well.

Here is the track list.

1. MAIS QUE NADA
2. LOOK OF LOVE,THE
3. ONE NOTE SAMBA/SPANISH FLEA
4. AGUA DE BEBER
5. CONSTANT RAIN(CHOVE CHUVA)
6. WATCH WHAT HAPPENS
7. FOR ME
8. NIGHT AND DAY
9. WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS
10. RODA
11. BATUCADA
12. UPA,NEGUINHO
13. FOOL ON THE HILL
14. SCABOROUGH FAIR
15. DOCK OF THE BAY,THE
16. PRETTY WORLD
17. NOWEGIAN WOOD
18. CHELSEA MORNING
19. FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH
20. WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW

Mike

Is Sergio the artist with the most BAD-looking compilation covers in the world? If not, he's close!

...one of the coolest things about "Dreamer" on ENCANTO is that it's the first time Herb, Sergio and Lani all perform on the same track! Amazing, after all these years.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they (and Gracinha) made an entire album together?

"The Fantastic Four"! :D

Mike Blakesley said:
the CBS/SONY Live In Japan album from the mid '70s that was released in a number of configurations
I think that is the only Sergio recording that I've never heard, at least since he "went vocal" with Brasil '65. I think I've missed a few of the early instrumental sides -- but no loss there, I'm more a fan of the vocal music.

That live album must have come out in several different configurations. I personally have one official version on LP and two CD-R's made from two other compilations of tracks from this set. I have a vague recollection that in past discussions there was even a two-LP version.

My LP, called GOLD DISC from CBS/Sony (26AP 1316) has:

Side A:
Mais Que Nada
One Note Samba/Spanish Flea
Wave
Like A Lover
Pradizer Adeus (To Say Goodbye)
Constant Rain (Chove Chuva)
Scarborough Fair

Side B:
Fool On The Hill
Something / Daytripper
Going Out Of My Head
The Look Of Love / Oye Como Va
I Can See Clearly Now
Love Music
Killing Me Softly With His Song

A jumbled track listing of 11 of these songs came to me from former forum member Jean-Carlo. He took it from a different LP also called GOLD DISC. It's missing "Like A Lover", "Pradizer Adeus", and "I Can See Clearly Now".

Then I got another copy of it called CARNIVAL / LIVE IN JAPAN from Paula. Her version again jumbled the track order, deleted "Something/Daytripper" and "The Look Of Love/Oye Como Va", and added in a 6:39 version of "Jogo de Roda/Manha de Carnaval".

The concert featured Gracinha and Bonnie Bowden as vocalists.

Someday I need to record the LP I have to CD-R and add in the "Jogo de Roda/Manha de Carnaval" track to gather these all in one place.

Harry

I have the 2 LP version--IIRC, it has pics from the band on a chessboard.

Amazon has said now for weeks it is out of stock of Confetti. Did someone buy them out to put up for bididing on eBay? Why the delay in restocking?

MasterLcZ said:
I was playing that "For What It's Worth" 45 this afternoon after not listening to it for a while. So much better than album cut!

I have to say that the possibility of any CD that's a new collaboration between Sergio and Will.I.Am doesn't particularly excite me.

That's so uncanny, Paul...I was also listening to the Single of FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH the other day. And, I could not possibly agree with you more. This version really shows Karen's vocal ability in so many interesting and (IMHO) psychedelic ways.

A definite WOW from the remastered Brasil '66 catalog. Makes me wonder how many other remakes and/or retakes just ended up in the A&M vaults, you know what I mean? :?:

I've asked Gracinha countless times what else could possibly be (put away), but she simply doesn't know and/or remember. But, she's sure there are others locked up somewhere.

Do tell, Sergio! Do tell and do release!!! :shock:

Off to London!!

Jon

MasterLcZ said:
...one of the coolest things about "Dreamer" on ENCANTO is that it's the first time Herb, Sergio and Lani all perform on the same track! Amazing, after all these years.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they (and Gracinha) made an entire album together?

"The Fantastic Four"! :D

What about NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN? I'm not sure if that's Herb playing trumpet at the opening, but it's definitely Sergio on keyboards. I could be wrong (and probably am...I'm not an aficionado after all), but I figured from Lani & Sergio's interview on The Alan Thicke show (of many years ago -- Christmas Eve if I recall) that Lani specifically stated that it was all three of them together again after so many years.

Jon

...packing for London with Sergio playing in the background...

Hi Jon,

I'm playing "Never Say Never Again" as I type this. I don't think that's Herb on trumpet at the beginning...I would think he'd be more 'forward' in the mix, and he would have come back at the end too, probably! It does sound like Sergio on keyboards though...I never really noticed that before.

I still think "Dreamer" is the first instance of all three of them performing on the same track...of course they all worked together alot in the early years when Herb and Sergio would jointly produce the Brasil '66 records.

Hey Mike,

It's a about 6:40 PM in London and I'm exhausted, but thought I'd jump on and reply to your message (it appeared in my mailbox).

I believe you're right. I think NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN has Sergio on keyboards with Lani on vocals. Thinking back, it makes sense. Lani was quoted as saying on the Alan Thicke show (something to the effect) that she had worked with Sergio after many years and Herb had produced the project.

I bet you're right in that ENCANTO is the first time the three of them have performed together...a most pleasant surprise and about time. :D

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Mike.

Jon

...how I got 'Bill' and 'Mike' confused is beyond me. Let's just call it B-777 Lag and leave it at that...

MasterLcZ said:
So..... when are we getting the FANTASTIC FOUR album - Featuring Herb, Lani, Gracinha and Sergio??!?! :D

Heck!

I don't know, but I think it's about time!! What do y'all think? Agree with Paul and myself?

Hey! Let's start a petition :D

"...We the undersigned think Sergio, Gracinha, Lani & Herb should do an entire project together...an 'updated' Brasil '66..."

After all, dreams were made to come true!!

Jon

...the West Coast Brasil Nut in cahoots with the East Coast Brasil Nut...

"...Mike Blakesley wrote: I guess that makes me the "Northern Brasil Nut!"

Of course you're the OFFICIAL BRASIL NUT of our Northern Region...there's more than one of us. I say: "The more the merrier!" :wink:

Jon

...although it's something like 5:35 AM London time, I'm still set to 9:35 PM United States time...our recruiting classes don't begin until 5:15 PM United Kingdom time, so I have plenty of time to rest up before the "cattle-call" begins! Whew!! Once completed this evening, we hop a non-stop to SFO, rest a day and recruit for three days in a row!! No complaints, but don't tell my body, lest I go into shock... :shock:

AandMFan said:
Amazon has said now for weeks it is out of stock of Confetti. Did someone buy them out to put up for bididing on eBay? Why the delay in restocking?

Since it's an import from Japan, Amazon in the US is likely not stocking the title, but will order it for you when you order it from them.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom