JavaScript Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I was wondering if someone could help me, I recently just got a new PC, I know that Youtube uses flash in order to view their videos. I know I have the latest flash player installed. I can view most all the videos on youtube but there are some that I can't view for instance when I go to the user for Universal Music Group: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=universalmusicgroup
I cant' play any of their videos, they all say: Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Click here to get the lastest Flash Player.

So I went to Adobe site and uninstalled the player on my system then restarted my PC and then went back and installed the latest flash player from Adobe site.

Went back to Youtube and can watch most videos but some I can't. I can't figure why some play and others I get this message above.
I don't know how to fix it, can anyone help?

Java and JavaScript have practically nothing to do with each other. One is a programming language interpreted by a plugin; the other is a scripting language interpreted by a browser. In fact, Netscape originally intended on calling the latter "LiveScript" when they developed the technology to begin with.

That said, I'm not sure what the problem here is (although Java has nothing to do with it). All of YouTube's videos use the same technology, so there shouldn't be any reason for some videos to work while others won't: I haven't had any problems on my end, and I use Flash 7.

Have you tried a different browser, or (just to put the cap on the obvious) checking to see if JavaScript is enabled?

So my nephew was over the other day and I was showing him how some youtube video play fine but others will show this message: Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Click here to get the lastest Flash Player.

We verified that the flash player is the latest version, then we updated the Java at that website as Harry mentioned, went back and that still did not fix it, the videos on Youtube from Universal still have that same message.

So my Nephew says try to disable your Norton for about 5 mins and go back to Youtube and guess what? That was it, Norton is blocking certain Youtube JavaScript videos because it played, then I went back and enabled my Norton, went back to the Youtube video and it failed with the message you have Java Script turned off. We looked in Norton to see if there was a setting but we can't find any.
Oh well, no big deal, my Nephew said if there is any video I want to see on Youtube I can just disable Norton for a few min and then enable it back. I just thought that was weird cause I never had this kind of problem before on my old PC but I have a new Norton Pkg with this new system so maybe it's a newer version of Norton that is causing this. My Nephew said it's good in a way cause sometimes JavaScripting can harm your system. Do you agree? I realy don't know much about Java stuff. Anyway. thanks everyone for replying.

I would seriously consider calling Symantec technical support about this one. It's not a good idea to turn of your protection for any length of time. It only takes a few seconds for your computer to get infected with a virus. Likely, the Symantec folks can help you work around this issue.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom