🎵 AotW Jerry Knight - JERRY KNIGHT (SP-4788)

LPJim

Staff member
Jerry Knight
JERRY KNIGHT
A&M SP-4788
sp4788.jpg

Jerry Knight founded the band Raydio with Ray Parker Jr., best known for their hit "Jack and Jill."

TRACKS:

Freak Show
Good Times
Joy Ride
Let Me Be the Reason

Monopoly
Now That She's Rockin'
Overnight Sensation
Sweetest Love

Released 1980 and remained in the Billboard Top 200 for 7 weeks, peaking at # 165

JB

As I'm researching a 12" single, I didn't realize that the "Overnight Sensation" on this recording was the one I knew from 1980. It is a good late-disco-era dance track, but the remainder of the album straddles a line between R&B and rock, which actually alienated the remainder of the album with both rock and R&B stations. A shame really, since there are some good crossover tunes on this disc. (I have since heard it, after this AOTW was first posted. :tiphat: )

• Side 1
  • 1. Good Times (Arnell Carmichael, Jerry Knight) 5:19
  • 2. Monopoly (Jerry Knight, Thurlene Johnson) 3:57
  • 3. Overnight Sensation (Jerry Knight) 5:02
  • 4. Sweetest Love (Jerry Knight) 3:57
  • Side 2
  • 1. Joy Ride (Jerry Knight) 3:44
  • 2. Let Me be The Reason (Jerry Knight) 3:46
  • 3. Freek Show (Jerry Knight) 4:13
  • 4. Now That She's Rockin' (Jerry Knight) 6:14

-- Dave

Interesting choice of producer: Kershenbaum was known for Joe Jackson's albums back in the day.

Thanks for sharing this album! I've never heard the full album before - I'd only been familiar with "Overnight Sensation," which I had on 45 at one point and lost somewhere along the way, so even that song I haven't heard in years. Was happy to hear that one again! Underrated single. I'm not sure why it wasn't bigger.

Thanks for sharing this album! I've never heard the full album before - I'd only been familiar with "Overnight Sensation," which I had on 45 at one point and lost somewhere along the way, so even that song I haven't heard in years. Was happy to hear that one again! Underrated single. I'm not sure why it wasn't bigger.
It had constant airplay here when it came out, but wasn't a big hit chart-wise. I do hear more of the rock edge throughout the album and can hear the similarities to Ray Parker Jr.'s recordings (Knight was an early member of Raydio).

NO NOT "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)" by The Raspberries (with Eric Carmen) which was their last Top 40 & Hot 100 song on November 9, 1974 that went to # 18. Rolling Stone magazine critics loved that song & so did the late John Lennon!!

Thanks for posting... While Knight never got the recognition he deserved, he was certainly NOT my cup of the at that time... In hindsight, were I more (musically) open-minded then, I would've likely embraced his soulful pop...

--Mr Bill
thinking back on how my musical tasted have changed over the decades...

This music was always in my wheelhouse, as the only other major choice in this area for popular music was arena/corporate rock. Consider that when Prince first broke out big, we were one of the small number of cities where his music make a big impression, before the mainstream caught on. George Clinton/Parliament/Funkadelic were popular here also, and of course Motown Records lived here until they bailed for the west coast in the 70s.

Back
Top Bottom