Jim Hall-"Live" reissue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimac51

Verve has announced 3/25/03 for the reissue of Jim Hall's "Live",as an LPR,whcih,I suspect is one of those mini-LP reproductions(cardboard packaging and front line price). No mention of added tracks. I have never heard a bad Jim Hall recording. Mac

Could that be the Jim Hall who played guitar on the Andre Previn/Itzaak Perlman album A DIFFERENT KIND OF BLUES ?

Dan, wondering if the album is available on CD...

That's the one and the same. Notable Jim Hall recordings include Paul Desmond's RCA solo recordings(Mosaic put a complete Desmond/Hall box spanning all their labels for a limited run years ago),"Undercurrent",with Bill Evans(newly remastered with a substantial price increase and one of the coolest record covers of all time) and a recent duo with Pat Metheny(Telarc). Jim also was involved with CTI,post A&M era. Unfortunately,I suspect that the Previn/Perlman album may not be available,though "It's A Breeze",the companion to "Different",had been released( I carried it in my store years ago but it's probablybly out of print). Their album of Joplin rags,"Easy Winners" evidently is still available.Mac

My father and I used to listen to A DIFFERENT KIND OF BLUES over and over again...it was one of our favorites. Perlman's virtuosity is unparallelled and amazing...and Jim's no slouch, either...

Dan

Updated info on the Jim Hall reissue-This batch of Verve reissues appears to be priced mid-line(as per amazon & Tower) and a batch of Impulse reissues which came out this week were released as digipaks,not mini-LPs. Both batches of CDs are listed on Verve's site as LPRs(apparently meaning LP Reproductions) so the Jim Hall may come out as a digipak. As bad as digipak packaging is,they are at least a step above mini-LP size. In their neverending battle to be the greediest record company on earth,Universal has not lowered last years batch,which included Sergio Mendes EQUINOX. Mac

When I presented my vinyl copy of 'Live' for Jim to sign he said,"So many people ask me when this is going to come out on CD." As this was nearly 2 years ago, you can imagine the pent-up joy in Jazz Guitar Land when it hits the bins. BTW, he was kind, mild-mannered, and unpretentious all the way, and quite willing to talk as long as I wanted. And he had total command of all his chops during the gig (with George Mraz on bass).
My musical high for 2001.

Congratulations on meeting Mr. Hall. I've got the vinyl version (A&M/Horizon SP 705). Those gatefold cover Horizon albums are filled with extensive liner notes, which are challenging to read at full size. I'll need a magnifying glass to read them on a digi-pack, but it will be worth it. Good choice for reissue.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom