Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Jimmie Rodgers
CHILD OF CLAY

A&M SP-4130

sp4130.jpg

Also released as mono LP-130 and on Collectors Choice CD CCM-419-2 (with WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND)

Tracks:

Side One
1. Turnaround (Trad. adapted by Rodgers) 2:58
2. Today (Sparks) 4:07
3. I Believed It All (Hamm, Bergman, Bergman) 2:43
4. If I Were the Man (Rodgers) 2:58
5. Child Of Clay (Maresca, Curtiss) 3:58

Side Two
1. I Wanna Be Free (Boyce, Hart) 2:18
2. I'll Say Goodbye (Becaud, McKuen) 3:06
3. Try To Remember (Schmidt, Jones) 2:46
4. You Pass Me By (McKuen) 2:58
5. My Love Is A Wanderer (Howard) 3:11
5. The Lovers (McKuen) 4:43

Credits:

Produced by: Allen Stanton
Arranged by: Mort Garson
Engineered by: Jack E. Hunt (T.T.G. Studio)

Jimmie Rodgers' first album for A&M Records is this week's classic Album Of The Week.

I first heard this album through the Collector's Choice two-fer, and was quite impressed. I remembered Jimmie's earlier hit material ("Kisses Sweeter Than Wine", etc.) but hadn't heard his A&M stuff. This album is generally softer ballad material, and done quite nicely.

Harry

What defined Rodgers career were his three albums (and a few singles) he made for A&M... Full of good, cheery childhood memories and philosophies on later life...

"Child Of Clay grabbed all the attention and is the lone song from his A&M years that usually goes on compilations, otherwise consisting of his material for Roulette...

The wordy "The Lovers" originally penned by Rod McKuen gets its best reading by Jimmie, while Boyce & Hart's "I Wanna Be Free" gets its first pop interpretation, though there will be others... "If I Were The Man" would be later be done in a more stark and jaunty version by The Sandpipers, but gives a fairly haunting impression here, too, as does the romantic, free-spirited travelogue "My Love Is A Wanderer"... "I'll Say Goodbye" and "You Pass Me By", also written by McKuen, are very moody and moving, as well...

And "Turnaround" (the B-Side of "Child Of Clay"), "Try To Remember", "I Believed It All" and "Today" are what bring back the remembrances of the golden joys of youth...

In all, a very stellar and satisfying set of songs, in which Jimmie Rodgers definitely has the magic touch for in what touches your heart...

Dave

Child of Clay was definitely a good song. I've never heard the rest of this album with the exception of "The Lovers" which I think was on the MUSIC BOX compilation...wasn't it?

I have the song "Child of Clay" on Rhino "Best of Jimmie Rodgers". The song 'Child of Clay" runs 4:11 instead of 3:58. :shock: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Back
Top Bottom