Jimmy Knepper - R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Some sad news from the jazz world. Trombonist Jimmy Knepper passed away at the age of 75. He was a mainstay of the Charles Mingus band. Here's one obit:

James Minter Knepper was born in Los Angeles on Nov. 22, 1927.

Although he was not yet 30 when he first worked with Mingus, he was already a seasoned veteran, having spent time in several Big Bands.

A fine soloist with a distinctive sound not overly influenced by J.J.Johnson, Jimmy Knepper's plays improvisations that are full of subtle surprises. He began on trombone when he was nine, started playing professionally when he was 15 and worked in the Big Bands of Freddie Slack (1947), Roy Porter (1948-49), Charlie Spivak (1950-51), Charlie Barnet (1951), Woody Herman and Claude Thornhill. Knepper gained fame for his versatile and inventive playing with several of Charles Mingus's groups (1957-62). He also worked with Stan Kenton (1959), Herbie Mann ( a 1960 tour of Africa), Gil Evans, Benny Goodman (the 1962 tour of the Soviet Union) and the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra (1968-74) in addition to playing in the 1970s with the Lee Konitz Nonet and Mingus Dynasty. Knepper's reputation in the jazz world has remained quite strong although he has not recorded very often as a leader. The beautifully arranged brass tonalities of "I Dream Too Much" make it Knepper's most ambitious and fulfilling album, in my opinion.

Throughout the 80's and 90's he regulary toured Europe as a freelance soloist.

Capt. Bacardi

Knepper doing "Haitian Fight Song" with Mingus Dinasty,an early live digital recording at Montreux in 1980(a little harsh),really cranks. How often do you hear true anger in a trombone solo? This has been a favorite to play for neighbors thinking their rock music needs to be heard throughout the apartment building. He will be remembered! Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom