Joan Baez 'farewell' tour concert

LPJim

Staff member
57564688_10218598725936660_420155957415247872_n.jpg At age 78 but still going strong Joan Baez performed before a near full house at the Tennessee Theater in Knoxville last night (Tues. 4-23-19).

She has announced plans to retire from touring after this year remaining close to the top of her game instrumentally if not vocally. Her voice is primarily in a lower register, although she can hit the high notes when she wishes. For two hours she remained standing while playing a multitude of guitars.

Joining her onstage were Dirk Powell (multi instrumentalist), Grace Stumberg (vocals) and Gabe Harris (her son & percussionist). The ensemble worked very well in complimenting the sound. "Diamonds and Rust" was sung as a duet.

Many of the songs were drawn from her 2018 album 'WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND,' with a few standards and cover tunes thrown in to make variety. Brief introductions and background stories were intertwined which touched on past worldwide tours and civil rights era stories familiar to older audience members but less so to younger ones.

Several Bob Dylan songs were performed, including "It Ain't Me Babe," "Don't Think Twice" and "Hard Rain." The set included "There But For Fortune" (Phil Ochs), "Catch the Wind" (Donovan), "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" and "House of the Rising Sun" (traditional).

One cut from the new album, "The President Sang Amazing Grace" was about the 2015 church shooting in Charleston, S.C. Also included was Woody Guthrie's "Deportee," about migrant workers killed in a plane crash whose names were never known.

Although the house was full plenty of tickets were available at the last minute. Although I'd seen her several years ago I decided to take advantage of the opportunity. You never know whether there will be others or if this is the last.

The tour arrived from St. Louis and from here was head to Newport News, VA, and up the coast. With several East Coast dates remaining there's ample time to see her at an upcoming tour stop.

JB

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom