Joe Jackson: 2019 tour & new album

LPJim

Staff member
Singer, pianist and composer Joe Jackson, who recorded for A&M from 1979-89, will tour early next year. He will perform songs drawing on his diverse 40-year career. A new album, 'FOOL', will be released on Jan. 18.

The first stop will be the Bijou Theater, Knoxville, TN, on Feb. 5. He will play Center Stage in Atlanta two days later.

A full schedule appears at his official site:

www.joejackson.com

JB

Another Great artist with Longevity I've always enjoyed Joe Jackson's music I remember when his Debut hit " Is she really going out with him". First hit the airwaves and his music was also part of my teen years I hope his new album Does well

So, here comes a big tour. We want to celebrate the fact that this is happening after 40 years – anything else, would be like sulking in a room by yourself on your own birthday party. Looking for some way to organize a show out of 40 years' worth of material, I decided to draw on five albums, each representing a decade: Look Sharp (1979) Night And Day (1982) Laughter And Lust (1991) Rain (2008) and Fool (2019). We'll also throw in a couple of songs from other albums and some new covers. I can't wait. Let's party.

I'll bet "Steppin' Out" would be awesome live. I've never been a giant fan of the rest of his music but I love that song.
Much of that album Night and Day is a treat. "Breaking Us In Two" is just as nice as "Steppin' Out." "Target" and "Cancer" are good Latin workouts. I don't play that one often, but enjoy it. That album and Look Sharp are two high points for me. IMHO, most of his best albums were on A&M.

Oddly, I like the classical Will Power album. Some had called it experimental, but Jackson was classically trained, so this kind of thing was second nature to him. (Classical didn't pay the bills, though, and he kind of went the "angry young man" punk rocker route on his first few albums, making a name for himself.) But anyway, "Nocturne" has to be one of the most haunting instrumentals he's ever written--IMHO, he should dust that one off and play it in concert on one of these tours. "No Parasan" I believe was a piece he originally wrote for two pianos, and orchestrated it for this album.

Much of that album Night and Day is a treat. "Breaking Us In Two" is just as nice as "Steppin' Out." "Target" and "Cancer" are good Latin workouts. I don't play that one often, but enjoy it. That album and Look Sharp are two high points for me. IMHO, most of his best albums were on A&M.

Oddly, I like the classical Will Power album. Some had called it experimental, but Jackson was classically trained, so this kind of thing was second nature to him. (Classical didn't pay the bills, though, and he kind of went the "angry young man" punk rocker route on his first few albums, making a name for himself.) But anyway, "Nocturne" has to be one of the most haunting instrumentals he's ever written--IMHO, he should dust that one off and play it in concert on one of these tours. "No Parasan" I believe was a piece he originally wrote for two pianos, and orchestrated it for this album.

Agreed I also love " Breaking us in two" which also is one of my favorite all time ballads for some reason Night and Day and Body and soul are my most favorite Joe Jackson albums the songs just move me on the inside and again part of the soundtrack of my life especially my younger years in the 80s

I liked to play the Night And Day album as a system test when we were DJ'ing back in the 80s. That album has terrific production anyway, but there's nothing as great as hearing it on a nice, big, loud system. We had 4 big Cerwin-Vega 3-way speakers and we'd put them in the four corners of the dance floor. Boy did that sound awesome.

I liked to play the Night And Day album as a system test when we were DJ'ing back in the 80s. That album has terrific production anyway, but there's nothing as great as hearing it on a nice, big, loud system. We had 4 big Cerwin-Vega 3-way speakers and we'd put them in the four corners of the dance floor. Boy did that sound awesome.
Mike you have Excellent taste my friend

The soundtrack to Mike's Murder (a failed mid 80s thriller) is a decent album, kind of following the musical ideas explored on Night and Day. Sad thing is, the filmmakers decided not to use much of Jackson's music, and the most I ever recall hearing was "Laundromat Monday" playing in the background over a car radio. A&M never got behind this one, and it stiffed. Which is a shame, since there are some good tunes here.

"Memphis.......where the hell is Memphis" great song by Joe Jackson (from "Mike's Murder" movie soundtrack 1983). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

My brother's wife doesn't like Joe Jackson or Elvis Costello or Graham Parker in that opinion. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The soundtrack to Mike's Murder (a failed mid 80s thriller) is a decent album, kind of following the musical ideas explored on Night and Day. Sad thing is, the filmmakers decided not to use much of Jackson's music, and the most I ever recall hearing was "Laundromat Monday" playing in the background over a car radio. A&M never got behind this one, and it stiffed. Which is a shame, since there are some good tunes here.
I totally agree I loved this album especially the instrumentals it showed a more musical side of Joe Jackson that wasn't heard before I loved both versions of Moonlight ( both vocal and instrumental theme) I was fortunate to have bought the vinyl version for Cheap brand new and sealed back in the day I categorized it as a "it should have been a hit " album however The next album Body and soul would move more into a Jazz flavor of sorts and an nice instrumental as Loisaida

@Bobberman ... an interesting note about Jackson's new album, due out Friday:

Every time I've made an album, I've gone on tour afterwards, and after a month or two the songs are feeling better, the band is playing better, I'm singing better, and I'm saying 'damn, I wish we could record the album now'. Well, I finally did it. Straight into the studio at the end of a tour, still on the road, wherever we played the last show, we would record. It turned out to be Boise, Idaho. A nice place, as it happens, and we very quickly got much better performances than we would have gotten a month or two earlier. It was fun, too.

Wow That is interesting and I'm Very Glad he spoke Well of my home State And Boise is over 260 miles south of me and very close to where I was raised sadly if I had known he was going to play in Boise I would have saved up for it and traveled down there as well as visited some of my lifelong dear friends who are still there .

0206190053-1.jpg JOE JACKSON -- set list from opening night of his 40th Anniversary Tour -- Bijou Theater, Knoxville, TN, Tues. 2-5-2019:

Alchemy*
One More Time
Is She Really Going Out With Him?
Big Bad Cloud*
Fabulously Absolute*

Another World
Breaking Us In Two
Stranger Than Fiction
Drowning
Real Men

Rain (Beatles cover)
Citizen Sane
Wasted Time
Friend Better*
Fool*

Sunday Papers
King of the World --- (Steely Dan Cover)
You Can't Get What You Want ('til You Know What You Want)
Ode To Joy
I'm The Man

Steppin' Out -- performed with the original 1979 vintage drum machine
Got the Time
Alchemy* (complete song)

The tour band features Graham Maby, original bassist.

By showtime the Theater was almost filled to it's 685-seat capacity.

*From the new album 'FOOL' - released Jan. 2019

JB

Last edited:
Here's a clip of "Steppin' Out" with original drum machine from 2/5/2019:

JB

Last edited:
I think "King Of The World" is the Steely Dan song. Unless he did another one. He's had a couple that he has performed over the years.

You are correct. After listening to the original I can see why Jackson would cover it. Fits his style well. "Citizen Sane" (not Zane) is his own from the 'RAIN' album.

JB

Last edited:
Graham Maby, original bassist with Joe's band and in the current tour line-up as well:0205192327a.jpg

Here's a clip of "Steppin' Out" with original drum machine from 2/5/2019:

JB

I love it this is a great live version in the spirit of the original recording it feels exactly like the original since they used the original drum machine with a little extra snare from the drummer Its Great. Thanks for sharing this.

Back
Top Bottom