John Bettis Lyric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Does anyone know what JOhn meant when he wrote this verse to the song, "Because we are in Love" The verse is in color that I am referring to:

Children...It was more fun to be children...We just took life as it happen...Run through the days...Don't look behind....

Over...wink of an eye and it's over...What a suprise to discover...We were people ourselves, what kind of people did we want to be, no answer ever came to me....

I always took this to mean, What did I wanna be when I grew up...but no answer ever came to me...In other words...I never became a doctor or a lawyer or a really so called "important" person...I just became myself in this world & I became happy with that decision cause now I found the love of my life & now we are to wed....

What do you think? I'm curious to hear your opinion.

By the way, I really love this song :D

To me, the highlighted text you cited means that before you know it you are grown up, and everything is different. Certain things (love and romance) become new and exciting. Haven't you ever felt in love to the point where you felt like a child again?
:wink:

I guess this song sort of throws off the words to "Puppy Love" sang by Donny Osmond. :tongue:artyhat:

Hi, Welcome aboard.

I can understand what you saying but I always took that to me the first part of the lyric.

"Over...wink of an eye and it's over...What a suprise to discover"

But when Karen says this...
We were people ourselves, what kind of people did we want to be, no answer ever came to me"

I don't understand John's meaning. Sounds like he is trying to say, When you grow up you always ask yourself what do you want to be when you grow up, like what kind of person will you become. But then he says, No Answer Ever Came to Him/Her.

Is it that when you meet your true love then all else doesn't matter because you become as one?

Maybe I'm just reading into this, but it bugs me when I can't figure out what a lyric really means. But I agree I really like this track and after hearing the different recorded version Karen sung at her wedding, I much prefer the live wedding recording over the CD version.

I think you are right! "No answer ever came to me" is the confusing one. I agree with your interpretation that the person you become has something to do with falling in love.

Since John bettis writes excellent love lyrics, I can only surmise that he, indeed, means that "no answer came. . ." because you can't become who you are until you are in love. "Because we are in love."

I personally believe that love, especially romantic love, is the greatest feeling on earth. Many people scoff at it like it is sappy and hokey. I smile because I know it is so much more.

And the Carpenters feed that ideal as no other. Karen's voice is MADE for people in love.

I can't even tell you how much I feel pain because she is gone. When me and my friends heard about her death years ago, we cried and cried.

I still cry now and then (and I am no baby).

It is the most tragic death of any celebrity in my humble opinion.

Glad to meet you in this "lyric" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom