John Denver and the Muppets 1979

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodjeans

...was Karen scheduled to appear on this show or just hanging out with Miss Piggy? Does anyone know?

The answer to this question lies inside the 40th anniversary box set from Japan. On the Lovelines CD Hardbook there is a photo of Karen and Miss Piggy (full length shot) and Richard places his notes next to the photo that says:
"November 15, 1979....Karen stopped by the ABC studio to say hello to our friend, John Denver, who was taping his special & encountered Miss Piggy"

I was elated to find this information as it not only tells us how this photo came about but also when the exact date the photo was taken.

I found this new photo I have never seen before, unfortunately Karen needs to turn around, however this is Karen when she visited John Denver on the set. I have also attached some other photos that we have seen before but these must all be from the same date, Nov 15, 1979

This is John Denver, Karen Carpenter and Jim Henson
JohnDenverKarenCarpenterJimHenson.jpg~original

This is Karen and Rick Busciglio ABC TV (Karen has the same sweatshirt and hat)
KarenCarpenterwithRickBusciglioABCTVNov1979.jpg~original

We have all seen this one, this is the full length shot that matches the same one inside the 40th anniv box set I mentioned above.
KarenCarpenterMissPiggyNov1979.jpg~original

Here, in late 1979, a radiant Karen Carpenter.
Given her stature in the 'business', the quality and quantity of high-profile industry
professionals that Karen was acquainted with, it mystifies me as to why she was not
perused more often for higher quality guest spots, promos, A-list celebrity duets,
acting spots, etc......(After all, John Wayne was moved enough to consider her for True Grit).
Her talent, even then, far out-shined many others who received more prominent billing.
(I would have thought Jim Henson would have moved heaven and earth to have Karen guest on
a Muppet Show).
Not to take anything from Richard's avowed place in the success of the duo, but....?

I've always been fascinated with dates especially towards the end of Karen's life, like what was she doing at this event etc...at the time of this photo, Karen's solo album was still on schedule. I thought I read somewhere here that she did her photo shoot for the album in Jan or Feb 1980? Final playback was shortly after this and then on May 05, 1980 it was shelved, then Carpenters Music Music Music aired on ABC May 16, 1980. So Karen was no stranger to ABC studios in the photo above when she visited John Denver on set. I wonder if Karen discussed her solo album being in progress with John Denver that day. I'm sure John would have asked, Karen how you been, what have you been up to, that sorta thing...

Here, in late 1979, a radiant Karen Carpenter.
Given her stature in the 'business', the quality and quantity of high-profile industry
professionals that Karen was acquainted with, it mystifies me as to why she was not
perused more often for higher quality guest spots, promos, A-list celebrity duets,
acting spots, etc......(After all, John Wayne was moved enough to consider her for True Grit).
Her talent, even then, far out-shined many others who received more prominent billing.
(I would have thought Jim Henson would have moved heaven and earth to have Karen guest on
a Muppet Show).
Not to take anything from Richard's avowed place in the success of the duo, but....?

I have a feeling that she was approached many times about duets with other people, but probably deferred to Richard every time, so as not to cause him any hurt. An extreme view of their relationship would be that whilst Richard was the brains behind their sound, he was also the single most suppressive influence on her talent and potential. Had they not been brother and sister, she probably would have left him 5-7 years into their career, when their appeal as a duo, record sales and chart successes were all steadily declining. There are many, many examples where lead singers have broken away from a group once it's run its course to become successful solo stars. This could never have been the case with Karen because of the family ties and pressures that were impossible to shed. Just look at what happened to the solo album. I often wonder whether Karen ever mused on that fact herself and how much of it was the root cause of the conflicts that landed her in the predicament she ended up in.

Last edited:
I agree 100%. She wasn't going anywhere in that family, which is a damned shame. Just the fact that she's on the set (!) and not being utilized for the special speaks volumes. I'm sure she was itching to do just that. And you can be sure Jim Henson and John Denver were thinking the same thing. Talk about the perfect setting for Karen's talents!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom