Josh Groban covers SOLITAIRE / and "The Moon's A Harsh Mistress"

I just saw the date of Feb 2021....never knew or heard of this....I am a fan of his voice!!

After listening to Josh's cover, the Carpenters version of Solitaire has that borderline disco vibe going on!

I guess I am indifferent over this version. I like the card line reference but it repeats too often. I feel it should come only once toward the next to last time before the last chorus repeat as far as the lyrics go. Karen’s interpretation evoked more emotion.

To me, he is the male equivalent matching Karen's voice...he has always touched me with his music. There is such a darkness, sadness to his voice...one of his songs that always moves me is LET ME FALL....I could listen to his version of SOLITAIRE and Karen's version back to back, and on Youtube that's how it is for me....I appreciate both version!

Josh went to Interlochen Music & went there to sing. That place is near Traverse City, Michigan!!

I actually own two different Josh Groban albums. Both were from the 2001-2002 era when he was getting his start and he did a track with The Corrs. When he did that track live for a PBS concert, Andrea Corr guested. She shows up around 2:30 into the video.

Last edited:
I love Josh Groban. He is my favourite male singer, but I don't think this song was the best choice for him. I love his Broadway album, Stages.

On an earlier album, he covered The Moon's a Harsh Mistress, which Karen (and Richard) is/are supposed to have either worked on or had planned to according to the, now infamous Buried Treasure list. I'd have loved her to record that!

It’s many years since I’ve heard Josh Groban. His voice has definitely changed over the years and so has his delivery. I don’t mind him singing ‘Solitaire’. The instrumental arrangement is a bit busy and nondescript, though.

Josh Groban definitely has a very good voice but when he was younger it sounded a bit lighter and I think I preferred that sound. You can’t really quibble though. He’s obviously an excellent singer.

Interestingly, he seems to be very close to the mic here, or greatly amplified, and his breathing is obtrusive on the recording.

As Portlander suggested, Grogan’s version brings to attention how well Richard’s arrangement of ‘Solitaire’ highlighted Karen’s voice rather than distracting from it and also emphasised the drama of the song.

‘Solitaire’ is one of Carpenters’ greatest recordings.

To me, he is the male equivalent matching Karen's voice...he has always touched me with his music. There is such a darkness, sadness to his voice...I could listen to his version of SOLITAIRE and Karen's version back to back, and on Youtube that's how it is for me....I appreciate both version!
His version is good, but not exceptional - his choruses don't have her all-too-seldom unleashed power and he doesn't fully express the desperation of the poor guy's desolate situation - more importantly, his version doesn't have those awesomely resonant low notes that she delivers so beautifully throughout, nor is he able to transcend the emotion generated by a song about a pathetically sad person and bring you the joy of hearing an incomparably gorgeous voice simultaneously.

Last edited:
OMFG were K and R really planning on doing Moons a Harsh Mistress? Please don't tell me that. Ughghgh. The Renee Fleming version makes me weak in my knees (wrong song lol) but you know what I mean. Would have given anything to hear their arrangement.

Last edited:
I believe it was recorded during the MIA sessions. You can hear a version of it by looking for Michele Pillar- who sounds a lot like Karen.

Linda Ronstadt also did a version of this song (Moon is a Harsh Mistress) around the same time ('82) on her Get Closer LP.

Last edited:
Maureen McGovern also included a version of 'The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress' on her 'Long And Winding Road' album. There are a few nice performances on that LP.

I was listening to a couple of versions of the song recently - I think, McGovern's and Ronstadt's - and it struck me that it was not as strong a song as a number of other Jimmy Webb compositions. At least, that's how I felt at the moment that I was listening to it.

A pretty face and an even prettier voice - Lisa Kelly - maybe the best of the "Celtic Women" crew - lovely performance...also see her version of Dougie Maclean's beautiful tribute to his homeland of Scotland called "Caledonia" in the "Other Female Vocalists" thread I just uploaded...

Lovely.

My favorite version has to be the one that Rumer released back in 2010 on her CD single of "Slow".

1633274123996.png1633274137931.png

It looks like it was re-released earlier this year according to this YouTube:

Back
Top Bottom