Julius Lowers the Boom

stolfstolf

What could cheer me up more than finding a vintage A&M cut I’d never heard of before? In this case it’s the Baja Marimba Band doing “Clancy Lowered the Boom” on the Smothers Brothers Show, 3-12-1967. Not released in any recorded form, right? So how did that happen? Was it a cut they were planning for an upcoming LP but then abandoned? Or did Julius just say let’s do something different and off-the-wall?

They also performed a “live” version of Brasilia. Or could it have been recorded ahead of time and lip-synced for the actual program? The regular slow pace not the double-time version. Both available on the Julius Wechter facebook page…along with a ton of other cool stuff if you haven’t seen it, including probably every version of the Canadian “Man, That’s Coffee” spots, even the French ones for Quebec, altho not the 45 that I could see.

What could cheer me up more than finding a vintage A&M cut I’d never heard of before? In this case it’s the Baja Marimba Band doing “Clancy Lowered the Boom” on the Smothers Brothers Show, 3-12-1967. Not released in any recorded form, right? So how did that happen? Was it a cut they were planning for an upcoming LP but then abandoned? Or did Julius just say let’s do something different and off-the-wall?

They also performed a “live” version of Brasilia. Or could it have been recorded ahead of time and lip-synced for the actual program? The regular slow pace not the double-time version. Both available on the Julius Wechter facebook page…along with a ton of other cool stuff if you haven’t seen it, including probably every version of the Canadian “Man, That’s Coffee” spots, even the French ones for Quebec, altho not the 45 that I could see.

This is my FaceBook page, done with the blessing of the Wechter family. Come on by - there's lots of great BAJA history there, as Stolf said.

I wish some of that stuff was posted here - some of us, like me, will never do Facebook.

Also, the band played live versions Gay Ranchero and Fowl Play on a show called Operation Entertainment hosted by Flip Wilson I believe on ABC. And there was a syndicated special starring Carol Lawrence featuring the BMB and live versions of their tunes. Always wanted to see/hear those again.

Yeah, both are from 1968...one source says the syndicated show was called The Carol Lawrence Show" and BMB did "I Say a Little Prayer," "Sunrise, Sunset," and "Flying High," plus a comedy bit with Carol.

Back
Top Bottom