📣 News Julius Wechter - Jazz West CD (with extra tracks)

Nice to see Jim Harrod's name on the blurb for the CD. I have the LP but will get this for the seven unreleased tracks.

I remember we once got a sample of the unreleased stuff when someone posted "Undecided". I still have that on my hard disc.

I just ordered a copy of this CD today from Amazon and I look forward to finally having Julius's very first album with the bonus tracks it's been a very long time coming but well worth the wait.

I have the original on Jazz West. It's good jazz, but nothing that exciting. That said, I'll probably get this for the unreleased tracks.

I have the original on Jazz West. It's good jazz, but nothing that exciting. That said, I'll probably get this for the unreleased tracks.
Same here. I rarely listen to this one. And with the unreleased tracks being a needle drop, my expectations won't be high.

My copy came earlier today and Wow I like this the bonus tracks don't sound too bad at all I find the surface noise isn't very distracting at all at least not to me I listened to it on my headphones and on my speakers and it all sounds Good now my Wechter library is fully complete with this CD and I immediately ripped it into my master computer I suggest every BMB & Wechter Completist Get this CD as soon as you can because it's have a feeling this is going to go out of print pretty quickly

Mine arrived today. It's clear that the "bonus" tracks all come from that old acetate that surfaced a number of years ago. I can hear the same noise in the "Undecided" track that I still have on my hard drive. The compilers of this new CD really cranked down the highs to smooth out the sound. It's still listenable, but it's like a heavy towel were draped over your speakers.

Kudos for at least attempting to fix the "wow" that opened many of the LINEAR SKETCHES tracks. In a couple of cases, they actually accomplished the near impossible. Other attempts still have a little bit of the "wow" left, but it's definitely better.

Mine arrived today. It's clear that the "bonus" tracks all come from that old acetate that surfaced a number of years ago. I can hear the same noise in the "Undecided" track that I still have on my hard drive. The compilers of this new CD really cranked down the highs to smooth out the sound. It's still listenable, but it's like a heavy towel were draped over your speakers.

Kudos for at least attempting to fix the "wow" that opened many of the LINEAR SKETCHES tracks. In a couple of cases, they actually accomplished the near impossible. Other attempts still have a little bit of the "wow" left, but it's definitely better.
In my opinion it seems this may be the best attempt Ever and probably the best version given the circumstances

The compilers of this new CD really cranked down the highs to smooth out the sound. It's still listenable, but it's like a heavy towel were draped over your speakers.
I had a feeling they'd make it sound like dog doo with heavy-handed noise reduction. Ironic since in the CD's description on their site, they mention how they left it "unprocessed" to let the original sound shine through.

Important note: Tracks 9-15 are previously unreleased and they have been taken from a unique disc (test pressing) used to check the recording quality of a vinylmaster. The original sound is very good, unfortunately on this only copy we hear a superficial noise that is sometimes quite present. We have chosen not to seek to attenuate it down at all costs, preferring to keep the sound as natural as possible.

Yeah...I'll skip this turd. Thanks for the warning.

Just came across this and thought it would be of great interest to Julius fans who were previously searching for the LINEAR SKETCHES album.

JULIUSWECHTER_CD.jpg
Just got my copy today. It is a really good release for anyone who appreciate jazz vibraphone.

For any deep-pocketed Juluis/Baja fans, I see a few rarities on eBay currently.

- THE MUSIC OF JULIUS WECHTER - the ALMO promo LP of Julius' compositions, pressed in mono. Includes vocals on "Warm" by Karen Philipp, and "Nicest Things Happen by unknown.
- A PORTRAIT IN MUSIC - Rondor CD pressing of a bunch of homegrown Baja songs. Many lifted from vinyl.
- 36 ALL-TIME FAVORITES - a 3-CD set from Timeless Music. Excellent stereo sound on these 36 Baja favorites.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom