July 4, 1974, Rolling Stones Cover Story, The Carpenters: Up From Downey

GaryAlan

If you have not read it, now (July 4, 2021) is as good a time as any !

Karen Carpenter:
It’s weird to think you could have a meaning like that for someone, to make someone go on living. That’s a hell of a responsibility."
"Someone loving something that much, to keep them alive . . . It’s a very strange feeling, to think you could have that much . . . power . . . “
“That you could mean that much to someone. It’s an eerie feeling. I don’t dig being responsible that way
."
I mean . . . we only wanted to . . . make a little music . . .

Entire Article Here:

I was lucky enough to get a copy back in the late 70’s. I’m sure several fans on here probably have a copy too. One of Karen’s best humorous poses. They come up for sale once in awhile. Mine has oxidized some through the years. All of my newspaper clippings have, from reviews to Karen’s passing. Sad.

I was lucky enough to get a copy back in the late 70’s. I’m sure several fans on here probably have a copy too. One of Karen’s best humorous poses. They come up for sale once in awhile. Mine has oxidized some through the years. All of my newspaper clippings have, from reviews to Karen’s passing. Sad.
I've seen a few for sale and I don't think I have seen one without oxidation.

Guess I should have put them in air tight bags years ago. I had no idea that would happen. Some are getting hard to read. They are in a sealed bucket with some of my other memorabilia, and covered from any light now. Probably still not good enough, but better than in a cardboard box with a lid for 35 years.

Karen Carpenter:
It’s weird to think you could have a meaning like that for someone, to make someone go on living. That’s a hell of a responsibility."
"Someone loving something that much, to keep them alive . . . It’s a very strange feeling, to think you could have that much . . . power . . . “
“That you could mean that much to someone. It’s an eerie feeling. I don’t dig being responsible that way
."

Entire Article Here:
I had this fresh off of the press.
I wish that my memorabilia trunk hadn't been lost by the movers back in the day.
I had an incredible collection, many autographs of Karen and Richard and all kinds of stuff.

Karen Carpenter:
."

Entire Article Here:
Teaser:

In our upcoming book Carpenters: The Musical Legacy, @Mike Cidoni Lennox, Richard and I have included a brand new, beautiful full-length retrospective by Tom Nolan, the journalist who wrote the Rolling Stone article you mention here, as we revisit the original story, some 47 years later.

Guess I should have put them in air tight bags years ago. I had no idea that would happen. Some are getting hard to read. They are in a sealed bucket with some of my other memorabilia, and covered from any light now. Probably still not good enough, but better than in a cardboard box with a lid for 35 years.
Unfortunately, even had you done that, chances are your magazines would have oxidized anyway. A lot of older papers turn yellow and brittle not necessarily from the air or fingerprints, but from the acidity of the paper pulp that was inherent in the material itself. A lot of older papers, as well as cheaper papers of today (including newspaper paper, magazine paper—anything that's not bond paper) were highly acidic and would become brittle from the degradation of the wood fibers in the paper. Magazines would require periodic deacidification to slow—but not stop—the decomposition process.

Teaser:

In our upcoming book Carpenters: The Musical Legacy, @Mike Cidoni Lennox, Richard and I have included a brand new, beautiful full-length retrospective by Tom Nolan, the journalist who wrote the Rolling Stone article you mention here, as we revisit the original story, some 47 years later.
I can't wait to read it!

By the way, I was 9 years old & did not seen Rolling Stone magazine until December of 1980 (year end issue)!!

My late brother (who was 18 and had completely different tastes in music than me by ‘74) subscribed to ‘Rolling Stone’ when this issue came out. I remember (age 12 at the time) being shocked (and thrilled) that Karen and Richard were being presented in a more ‘hip’ way than usual.

i remember the same brother described Carpenters’ success as a true phenomenon, which was the highest praise he could give.

Karen Carpenter:
."

Entire Article Here:
It's been decades since I saw that article. They were really thrown into the music business fast at a young age. I can see now how much anxiety Richard Carpenter had at the time. Gotta keep making those hits.

Back
Top Bottom