July 5, 2021... SPIN Magazine: The 50 Best Live Albums of the 1970s

GaryAlan

#35 The Carpenters
Live a
t the Palladium
"The Carpenters ruled AM radio in the ‘70s with gentle soft rock hits. But the sibling duo’s virtuoso musicianship took centerstage on
The Carpenters’ frequent tours and network TV specials. Karen Carpenter’s delightful drum solo showcase on Live at the Palladium is
as impressive a part of her legacy as any of the heartbreaking ballads she sang."

The List of 50, here:

That's cool that Spin happened to pick an album that wasn't even released in the US for their list.

I was shocked when I saw Carpenters'
Live at the Palladium at #35 !
In my wildest dreams I would not have imagined that Spin Magazine would have taken any notice of any Carpenters' recording !

Here is an interesting excerpt taken from the Hollywood Reporter (2012):
"The value of the average rock critic’s opinion has plummeted-- now that a working knowledge of Google can get you
high-quality audio of practically any record, so you can listen and decide for yourself whether it’s worth a damn.”
Here:

I am re-evaluating the album (that is, giving it a spin).
My first vinyl copy was purchased at a K-Mart in the "import" records bin.

Here is a recent YouTube entry for the import vinyl:

Heh. I saw a video the other day where the guy was reviewing some CDs and said something like that he "gets" the whole vinyl experience thing, but if he wants that experience, he prefers to eat popcorn while listening to a CD. I though that was pretty funny.

I still have my original CD (and LP) of PALLADIUM, and hardly ever play it. Live recordings just don't do it for me.

The 1976 Variety review of the November 25 Palladium show is more revealing:
"Karen Carpenter displays boundless energy and flair with her lengthy drum solo."
"Audience loved it all. Seventy-five minutes of entertainment bristling with vitality."

Source:
YOM Carpenters Reader, Schmidt, pp.205-206.

^^There was a time (in the not too distant past) when I would have said that this album was not a favorite.
But, as with all things, my viewpoint has evolved.
I believe my initial lack of interest for the album came about because---
and only because--I was expecting more of a replication of the studio recordings.
Thankfully, that is NOT what we got. The more I listen to the album, the more it grows on me.
Now, I understand it ! I see (hear) what the duo was striving for !
I love Jambalaya, by the way.
While not a fan of Medleys, the HITS Medley of the duos' hits is a hit with me.
Karen's drum solo, Richard's Warsaw Concerto, an orchestra at play, Tony Peluso in excellent form...
I am thankful we have this !
It's not the perfection of a studio recording, but it sure is fun to imagine being in that audience.
I bet it sounded even better being there.

I've always thought that the sound engineering on this album was superior to Live in Japan, in the sense that this album seems to use the stereo soundstage much better. I have a sneaking suspicion that the gorgeous stereo clapping, which sounds a bit sterile for a live performance, was pre-recorded or studio recorded; there are some moments that I can hear the actual applause coming through on other microphones long after the stereo applause has ended.

In any case, my Pickwick CD still sounds great. I recently ripped it and verified its integrity using AccurateRip. I do enjoy this album, although I don't listen to either of the Carpenters' live albums as much as maybe I'd like.

Live recordings just don't do it for me.
Seventy-five minutes of entertainment bristling with vitality.

Live albums don’t do anything for me either. There are moments in that dreadful 1976 stage production that are entertaining (if you skip past the dreary Warsaw Concerto), but the hammy performances don’t translate well to an audio-only recording. I think I’ve only ever listened to the entire album from start to finish once.

Also, if you include the encore, an hour and fifteen minutes is pretty short for a full concert show - at least compared to all the other shows I’ve ever attended. I’m surprised more critics didn’t pick them up on that at the time. It’s a bit like the stage equivalent of the tan album :laugh:

Last edited:
It IS a short album time-wise, @newvillefan! On that we agree. In person, the concert included I Need to Be in Love, the Grease Medley, and Don't Be Afraid/Sing. Another version of the same concert I saw also included When I Fall in Love, Merry Christmas Darling, and/or Argentina.

Speaking of concerts, I've been downloading the audio to as many "live" Carpenters' performances as possible,
I must say, the transformation that their concerts undergo is rather interesting. It is especially interesting to watch
Karen singing and drumming simultaneously. The Japan 1972 Budokan performance stands out,
notice how Karen tears into those drums while singing Ticket To Ride.
That is a song that shines better in their concerts than the studio recordings (imho).

By the way, as for the cover photo of the Palladium album, is not that the identical dress Karen
wears on Carpenters' First TV Special when she performs Top of the World ?

By the way, as for the cover photo of the Palladium album, is not that the identical dress Karenwears on Carpenters' First TV Special when she performs Top of the World ?

Yep. I actually think the album cover photo is an outtake from the photoshoot on the set of the TV special. Richard is also dressed the same, although it looks as though his tie was photoshopped to green for the album cover.

Back
Top Bottom