Karen and Who...? Like Nat and and daughter Natalie

David A

It seems likely to me that there's a thread somewhere for this, but I couldn't find one, so...

Many of you know that Nat "King" Cole and his daughter Natalie, did a duet - "Unforgettable" - using her father's (who had passed long before) recorded voice and Natalie recording matching vocals.

Assuming this could happen with Karen's vocals, which contemporary male vocalist would you want to hear her duet with, and which Carpenters song would you want to hear them do...?

For me, I hear "This Masquerade" with Harry Connick, Jr., or maybe Michael Buble', but there are many others I think would be amazing.

Buble’ or Steve Tyrell. His version of A Song For You is pretty decent. He did a cd of Bacharach songs too. Buble’ is much smoother, more well known.

No one. I'm not a fan of duets with those who've passed away. I've literally never heard one that sounded emotionally honest. How could it?

It is a shame that we didn't get more duets while Karen was with us.

Ed

I think this is a what if? I prefer Karen alone best. She was great with John Denver & Perry Como though, and of course Richard. I don’t believe this will ever really happen. Richard wouldn’t approve of it anyway.

I think this is a what if? I prefer Karen alone best. She was great with John Denver & Perry Como though, and of course Richard. I don’t believe this will ever really happen. Richard wouldn’t approve of it anyway.

Yes clearly a what-if, I didn't bother to go into whether anyone would allow it, since it's a...well...what-if.

@Harry and @ThatFunkyFakeTation I get where you're coming from, but I think "Unforgettable" with Nat and Natalie is beautifully done, and is on some of my playlists. That's actually what got me to thinking about this, having heard that song last night.

And then there's the issue of - half the song goes to the new singer leaving only half for Karen. It would be a song we already have with her in full, so why limit Karen to half the song?

If it was somebody that was an actual great crooner, or pop singer and it meant guaranteed airplay/sales, I’d settle for half a song. Just to hear her on the radio again and to introduce her to a new generation of listeners and fans would be so amazing. This is all hypothetical of course, but I can dream can’t I?
Eyes rolling, pun intended.

You make a good case for getting her on pop radio again, but it would have to be with someone much more current than a Buble or Connick. Someone like an Ed Sheeran or even, God-forbid, Justin Bieber.

Not that it would get her on the radio or that it would ever happen, but I could see Buble, Sting, and George Benson as options.

I once created my own mix of Karen singing “Boat To Sail” with Roger Whittaker’s “Sloop John B”. That was an interesting duet!

But as for current artists, I’d like to hear Jason Blaine and Karen maybe do “Sweet, Sweet Smile”.

I once created my own mix of Karen singing “Boat To Sail” with Roger Whittaker’s “Sloop John B”. That was an interesting duet!

But as for current artists, I’d like to hear Jason Blaine and Karen maybe do “Sweet, Sweet Smile”.

I'm going to throw Shawn Mendes into the mix. He's a current and hugely popular artist (his new single just debuted at #2 on Billboard). He's the only modern day male singer that I really like. It would introduce Karen to a whole new audience of millions of young people around the world, as of today he has over 35 million monthly spotify listeners. Obviously it's not going to happen but it would be nice.

No one. I'm not a fan of duets with those who've passed away. I've literally never heard one that sounded emotionally honest. How could it?

They do come off as a bit disingenuous I totally agree. Now if she were alive, I think Karen would sound good paired up with Bublé. I actually think they have similar qualities with regard to limited tricks and genuine, pure interpretation of a lyric.

And perhaps I shouldn't have inadvertently limited this to a "male" crooner. I can think of a number of wonderful duets done by two female singers. @Harry mentioned Lady Gaga (though not in this context).

Other than the friendship factor making a duet with Olivia appealing, I'd rather have put Karen with a male vocalist.

I'd love to see the release of "Dancing the Old Fashioned Way" - but without John Davidson and someone like Michael Buble instead. The best duets are those that were meant to be duets from the beginning, not ones where it's obvious that a star's song was altered for another vocal (such as Barry Manilow's horrible "I Believe in You and Me" with the late Whitney Houston).

I'm not big on duets period. I think if Karen was still alive I'd just want to hear her and she's the type of singer who wouldn't sound right singing with someone somehow (Richard aside). I understand the Bublé idea but he's so emotionally bland that it wouldn't mesh well with Karen.

Back
Top Bottom