KAREN CARPENTER Single: "Looking For Love"/"I'll Be Yours": How much would YOU pay?

How much would you pay for a very good to near mint copy?

• $250

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • $500

• $1,000

• $2,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $2,500+

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
A topic that hasn't been discussed in some time has been the rare, out of print single that Karen cut on Magic Lamp records in '66. To my knowledge, there were roughly (500) copies pressed, many of which have not survived.

This single has been a highly sought-after collector's item for both Carpenters fans and record collectors alike. As I was recently browsing some of the online sources documenting various sales of this single over the last 10 years, it's amazing how much some people have paid for even a very poorly kept copy.

So I ask, if you had access to a very good to near mint copy of the single, how much would YOU pay?

I simply wouldn't. The temptation would be there, for sure -- if I bought this single, it would sit there like my copy of "Offering". I love my record collection because I can play it. I have a few items, like my copy of "Live In Japan" or my pristine copy of "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" that I don't play often, but I handle them with care and maintain them so that I can enjoy them. Collectors would cringe because I even play my World Record Store day, limited edition Monkees-logo-shaped 45-single. Not often, but same thing. I want to buy something I don't feel terribly guilty playing once and a while and treasuring.

I honestly wouldn't pay any of these, or anything over about $50. At this point, I am happy with just hearing it from my From The Top set. Does that mean I don't want vinyl copy? Certainly not; that would be lovely. However, it's also highly unlikely for me due to lack of funds :sad:
Or perhaps I'm just cheap? :confused:

Back in 1991, I sent a letter (pre-internet) to a record dealer that had sold a copy to a fellow C's collector several years before.

I heard nothing for 4 years. Then out of the blue in 1995, I received a letter from this dealer indicating that he had come across a second copy and he would be willing to sell it for $250.

I debated what to do, not wanting to get ripped off. But I figured that is someone was going to rip me off, they would not have waited 4 years to do so !

So I rolled the dice and sent a $250 money order and fortunately the dealer turned out to be honest and I DID receive a near mint copy of the single a few weeks later.

Needless to say, I have never regretted making this purchase.

I'm with K.C. Jr here. Having these old, rare curiosity records would be wonderful, but being able to hear them anytime I want on a box set is far more valuable to me than a slab of wax.

Since I am not a vinyl collector, I should not even answer, but I feel any agreed on cost is fair in a free market and possibly a higher cost would parallel a higher reflection of Karen's legacy.
After moving from place to place I have dwindled my vinyl collection over the years and given most of it away. I don't know anyone with my tastes and even my iTunes collection will someday go into a trash can, so I am in the same corner with Harry and glad it is on CD, heard with clarity unthought in the day it was originally created. Now, I love a great phonograph/turntable and tube receiver but the expense of upkeep keeps me from wanting to play it, but I love its appearance nonetheless. But the sleek sound of good high level digital equipment is what captures my ears today and it can be played from any digital origin these days to any treasured amp/speaker combination. So, when it comes to spending money, I'd rather spend it on audio technology as it improves and I enjoy getting my hands on a copy of a rare remixed version of Road Ode and any yet unreleased material. However, I am still encouraged that the market of rare vinyl is alive and strong for it is an art form in itself, and without art we are a boring bunch.

Its too bad that the original master tapes no longer existed, as what's on From The Top is about 4 analog generations away from the original masters

And because of the fact that the versions on the box sets were mono tracks mastered with stereo equipment, you can improve them at home by "monoing-out" the mono, turning them back to pure mono and eliminating some of the groove distortion.

I got my copy through a Goldmine auction for $10.00 and a Beatles Sgt. Peppers picture disc around 1981 I believe. Pretty good trade. I showed it to Richard at a dinner after the Christmas concert with Scott Grimes. He loved seeing it and autographed my Offering lp and Goodbye to Love sheet music.

Had I the funds, I would spring dearly for a near-mint copy.
I voted on the higher end of the spectrum in dollar amount.
Nothing surpasses getting as close to the original source as possible !
But, that's just me....and, as nice as the song sounds digitally,
I still prefer that vinyl record.
I love vinyl.

Back
Top Bottom