Karen Carpenter's Vocal Range?

I was just watching this Youtube video showing samples of Karen Carpenter's vocal range. If you haven't seen it, it's kind of fun to listen to. I've forgotten the differences between flats, sharps, etc... For anybody out there who sings or is a musician, perhaps you can check the accuracy of all the different keys included or if there're any omissions or better examples of Karen's range.........

I believe that the lowest note Karen ever sang was a D2, in "A Song For You," probably on the word "cause." On "Only Yesterday," she starts right off the bat on an E flat2. However, it wasn't part of her usual range to sing that low, so I assume that's why it's not included in her "three-octave contralto" vocal range.

According to Richard (in a fan club newsletter) her range was from D below middle C to G above high C, making it 2 octaves and a 4th.

I believe that the lowest note Karen ever sang was a D2, in "A Song For You," probably on the word "cause." On "Only Yesterday," she starts right off the bat on an E flat2. However, it wasn't part of her usual range to sing that low, so I assume that's why it's not included in her "three-octave contralto" vocal range.
Middle C on the standard piano keyboard is usually designated as C4. So, D2 would be one step above C2, which is 2 octaves below C4. It's highly unlikely that even Karen descended that low in her "basement". You probably mean D3, which is the D below Middle C or C4, or put another way, the D just above C3. And so, the D just above Middle C would be D4.

In addition to hitting D3 in "A Song for You" she also nails this note gorgeously twice in the verses of "Where Do I Go From Here".

It should be noted that a section of the lowest notes in her range are the same notes that lie in the upper range of the male Baritone voice. So, technically she could have sung in the Baritone section of any chorus or choir or vocal assemble anywhere...

You are correct, JohnFB. As I stated above, Richard said that her lowest note that he would record was D below middle C. Though people say it frequently, she did not have a three octave range. Her range was 2 and 1/2 octaves.

You are correct, JohnFB. As I stated above, Richard said that her lowest note that he would record was D below middle C. Though people say it frequently, she did not have a three octave range. Her range was 2 and 1/2 octaves.
I want to correct my post above. Richard did state in the early '70s that her range was D below middle C to G above high C. Years later in the backing vocals she hit a B flat above high C which means that she did not have a three octave range, rather two octaves and a sixth.

Years later in the backing vocals she hit a B flat above high C which means that she did not have a three octave range, rather two octaves and a sixth.
I took a listen but the B'Wana note sounds higher to me - by my reckoning 4 semi tones higher!

I stand corrected!! I figured I'd break away to A/B the two more seriously and you're right! The Occupants overdub is actually voiced an octave lower than I first assumed, putting the high note in B'wana 4 semitones above. Great ear and my apologies for the misinformation! :D

Highest note Karen ever recorded right here, at 4:46 on the below video:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom