Karen "Heartache Tonight" w/ONJ, Toni Tennille, et

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, Chris and Stephen, I understand--and, actually agree with, your commentary--
But, there is this---
From the Liner Notes of "As Time Goes By" regarding Hits Medley:
"..the director wanted Karen to move from one variety of microphone to another,
the lead, for once, was performed live."

Remember everyone, something can be 'recorded live' in the studio, even if you lip-synch to it later. What that phrase means is, it was done in one take with no overdubs, a real performance start to finish. On live awards shows, etc. you can hear sound adjustments, mic drop-outs, etc. Pre-records are usually done simply to avoid the risk of all that and allow for things like having her step away from the mic and get a different kind of camera shot....a pro like Karen would have nailed it live whether it was recorded in the studio or done at the time of filming, but it's mainly a technical consideration...'performed live' to me does say recorded at the time of filming - but nothing is for sure (!)....:)

I know there's a lot of debate that Karen was going to have a solo slot on this special. Why does no one ask the question, if the solo album was still on the table for release while planning was being done for the "Music Music Music" special, (it had to have been judging from the timeline), what would have been done to spotlight the LP in it? Would it have even been allowed seeing it was a Carpenters special and not a solo one? I'm not sure I could take the Ella/Karen medley next to "My Body Keeps Changing My Mind" but it would seem more logical for Karen to spotlight her material within her own special than ONJ's.

Good point, A&Mguyfromwayback,
I simply--for sake of historical clarity and continuity---not bemoaning whether a vocal was 'live in the studio' or 'performed live on television',
prefer to know when various vocal pieces were "done":
For instance, if one were to watch the 1976 television special when it aired December 8th, with no background as we now possess,
would it be evident that the "Superstar/Rainy Days Medley" was recorded in studio September 26th,
and, the "Hits Medley" performed live--but, I really do not know what that means.
Now, the show was videotaped September 30, October 1st and 2nd.
Another example--
The folks in Japan, for the doomed lip-synched telethon event, were probably not amused,
as it appears that they were led to believe it was being performed "live".
And, when Karen does begin singing, she sounds fine (but, there is a difference..it's on Youtube, now)
I believe it does make a difference,if only to ascertain when a performance is being done "at the time" it is viewed,
or pre-recorded at a different time for airing at a later date.
But, yes, Karen was great, regardless.

I'm not saying it wasn't recorded live in the studio, I'm saying it most likely was lip synched for the tv special. I think the moving from mic to mic was just a "show tv performance" to make it look good for tv, it actually helps to divert the idea that she is lip synching. It's all too perfect sounding.

Glenpwood....are you trying to divert this thread into Karen solo album? :tsk: That is not allowed :unhunh: I'm holding back my thoughts to avoid diversion....:laugh:

:wink: all in fun!!

Tangential to Carpenters, but in the same vein--and, of some relevance to Karen Carpenter:
July 8, 1979 Spokesman Review:
"....(Olivia) Newton-John's latest album "Totally Hot" is the strongest evidence of her apparent image-change..
it's a gutsy reversal for the Cinderella of the record industry...Even her harshest critics, who used to call her
cornier than the Carpenters have changed their tunes....They now describe her with words like charged-up,
spunky and full of force..."

Source/Complete Article Here:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...WsjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=HO4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=5286,3584310

"....(Olivia) Newton-John's latest album "Totally Hot" is the strongest evidence of her apparent image-change..
it's a gutsy reversal for the Cinderella of the record industry...Even her harshest critics, who used to call her
cornier than the Carpenters have changed their tunes....They now describe her with words like charged-up,
spunky and full of force..."

This about-face by the critics is amazing when you consider that the Totally Hot album had no less than four ballads (of ten tracks) on it. Karen's album had five ballads (of eleven songs), so it's comparable in terms of the balance between slow/uptempo songs. Had Karen's solo LP come out in late 1978 or early 1979, it would have been perfect. As it was, I think the timing was out - releasing it in 1980 probably would have diluted its success greatly. Olivia's was conceived and released perfectly in sync with the musical times.

This about-face by the critics is amazing when you consider that the Totally Hot album had no less than four ballads (of ten tracks) on it. Karen's album had five ballads (of eleven songs), so it's comparable in terms of the balance between slow/uptempo songs. Had Karen's solo LP come out in late 1978 or early 1979, it would have been perfect. As it was, I think the timing was out - releasing it in 1980 probably would have diluted its success greatly. Olivia's was conceived and released perfectly in sync with the musical times.
I think it's pretty obvious, looking back now, that when Olivia kicked the goody two shoes image and became 'one of the cool kids', Karen saw an opportunity to do the same. Whether her motive was altruistic or for her own personal ends we'll never really know. She was devoted to Richard and 'Carpenters', but it's been said that her solo album was her declaration of independence.

Richard's Time album seems to me like a sampling of musical styles, saying in effect that he could be versatile and 'work well with others' besides Karen. I think after that the right situation just never presented itself as far as he was concerned. He dabbled in producing a few other singers, but nothing clicked. I wish he had found his niche without Karen. I was pulling for him.

Song4u, I echo that sentiment: "I wish he had found his niche...I was pulling for him."
With each new (great) song I've heard--penned by Richard--
Something in Your Eyes, How Could I Ask For More, Together At Christmas, Christmas Turned Blue,
and others, it is clear that Richard Carpenter is capable of creating new masterpieces of pop music.
Stephen, good point, I have wondered exactly what the timeline was on Karen's solo album--that is,
exactly when certain songs were recorded, how far along the album was by Fall 1979; seems as if
(from all I've read) enough music was completed to have that album in the marketplace by Spring 1980,
if not earlier.

I notice in the New York Times Magazine article, The Fight Over Karen Carpenter,
October 6,1996, by Rob Hoerburger,
he states:
" They finally finished in January 1980, delivering 11 of the 21 songs they recorded.
Karen chose the white-sweatshirt shot for the cover, and Olivia Newton-John invited
Karen to sing on her latest TV Special."

His wording and context seem to imply a tie-in to the solo album.
Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom