Karen in my Memories

Jorge

Hey folks! I was able to get this Japanese sample CD (DJ Copy not for sale) A&M DCI-3068 šŸ†

It includes 20 songs and I am assuming it was released to commemorate the Carpenters albums release in the Japanese market back in the early 90's. Every album would come with an insert that would have a photo of Karen with the legend "Karen in my Memories". I had never ran into a copy of this particuylar release, and of course I am thrilled to add it to my collection.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186584635@N03/50806718348/in/album-72157717755182528/

Congratulations! This is the CD Iā€™ve always wanted. Itā€™s a terrific set and in chronological order too (well almost - Honolulu City Lights was released after, but recorded before, Make Believe Itā€™s Your First Time). From memory it was issued to Japanese DJs only to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Karenā€™s passing.

I hope you get lots of hours of listening pleasure from it. I do recall reading that the set features original album mixes only - it would be great if you could let us know once youā€™ve given it a spin :)

P.S. That small B&W cover shot is from Karenā€™s solo album photo session.

Last edited:
Really nice collection. I was lucky enough to get one from a friend in Japan for about $50.00 a couple of years ago. Excellent find.

I had never seen this cd before anywhere. So was very surprised when I ran into it on the internet. It was priced for $100, and I took at least 4 weeks to make up my mind until I finally decided to purchase it. Having purchased 2 copies of The Complete Singles collections for $5 each, I considered I had been really lucky before, so why not to indulge myself and get this beautiful cd. That B&W small photo shot is really a treat and wish it had been used in other release in a bigger format.

That B&W small photo shot is really a treat and wish it had been used in other release in a bigger format.

It's actually a closely cropped (and reversed) version of Karen's face in this photo:

Lknr4rd.jpg

I did my best at adding color to that photo here:

KarenSoloColorized.jpg

I remember reading a story on Markā€™s well known blog that someone at A&M showed him a copy of the original test pressing of the solo album artwork at A&M. It was a gatefold which, when opened out, featured this photograph across the entire inside of the album cover. Iā€™d give anything for the album to be released on vinyl with full cover to cover artwork as originally planned, before the awful cartoon effect was added. Just beautiful.

I remember reading a story on Markā€™s well known blog that someone at A&M showed him a copy of the original test pressing of the solo album artwork at A&M. It was a gatefold which, when opened out, featured this photograph across the entire inside of the album cover. Iā€™d give anything for the album to be released on vinyl with full cover to cover artwork as originally planned, before the awful cartoon effect was added. Just beautiful.
Yes, that is true.

They used yellow to honor her favorite color. Japan always did present their releases with honor and respect of their legacy.

I didnā€™t know that. The Japanese always push the boat out when it comes to meticulous detail. I think itā€™s very poignant that Karenā€™s signed name is on a cover that also features the date of her passing.

Iā€™ve never seen or heard of this CD before, possible because it wasnā€™t released commercially, and itā€™s awesome to see Carpenters stuff that I didnā€™t know existed. The affection the Japanese have for them and Karen in particular warms my heart.

Do we know what year this was? Was it made just for radio play?

It says DJ Copy Not For Sale/Polydor KK Japan on the back cover. No release date on it. I do love that each cut has the release date next to it though.
Ticket to Ride is the original version 70-2-14. Then WOJB 70-6-20 album version.WOJB 70-9-12. So 3 singles in 1970 there. Nothing in 1969 I guess. 20 cuts total. Most are very good. Iā€™d switch out a couple of cuts for others they left off. Especially Goodbye To Love, which is missing, instead of Jambalaya.

Do we know what year this was? Was it made just for radio play?

I donā€™t know an exact date but I do know the release year was 1992, Iā€™m guessing late that year before the 10th anniversary. It was released as a DJ promotional-only sampler CD.

Back
Top Bottom