Karen Recipient of Modern Drummer Award?

Sabar

In a Facebook conversation I just had with a friend about Karen's drumming abilities, he recalled that "John Bonham was not impressed when Modern Drummer magazine named Karen # 1." I'm a bit skeptical of this claim, so I'd like to fact check it. Does anyone know if Karen was ever rated best drummer by Modern Drummer magazine? I tried to research this myself, but the magazine's archives are subscription only. Also, does anyone have a recollection of John Bonham making this comment? Documentation would be even nicer. Thanks.

Last edited:
I think it was a poll in Playboy Magazine. She was voted the #1 Rock Drummer of 1975. Bonham coming in second place made some kind of comment like "she couldn't even keep up with our songs". He was livid! I'm sure I also read that a journalist brought these comments to Karen's attention to which Karen responded by jumping behind her drum kit and played a song.

The quotes are in this article. Karen's response back is so clever... A bit like her response to Bette Midler "Well the gold record (Superstar) is on our wall, not Bette's"

I think it was a poll in Playboy Magazine. She was voted the #1 Rock Drummer of 1975. Bonham coming in second place made some kind of comment like "she couldn't even keep up with our songs". He was livid! I'm sure I also read that a journalist brought these comments to Karen's attention to which Karen responded by jumping behind her drum kit and played a song.

The quotes are in this article. Karen's response back is so clever... A bit like her response to Bette Midler "Well the gold record (Superstar) is on our wall, not Bette's"

Thanks so much, Simon. That's great. Playboy...not quite Modern Drummer.

"To prove she could handle at least a few minutes of Zeppelin drums, she proceeded to play (and sing) “Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You” for the TV audience. Somehow, we doubt that settled the issue in Bonzo’s mind."

That is one clip I really hope surfaces someday!

"To prove she could handle at least a few minutes of Zeppelin drums, she proceeded to play (and sing) “Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You” for the TV audience. Somehow, we doubt that settled the issue in Bonzo’s mind."

That is one clip I really hope surfaces someday!

I wonder what it means by "TV audience" ???

It was around early 1975 and I'm not aware of any television they did around this time, or for any of 1975?

Back
Top Bottom