• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Karen Sampled by Rapper

Mark-T

Karen's "Oh yes" vocal from Please Mr. Postman in sped up form appears on rapper Juelz Santana's "Oh Yes (Edited version)". He's in prison now. Must be a first time they've been sampled by a convict.

GDB2LV

The first Carpenters, Carpenter/Bettis remake I ever heard and own, is the Yesterday Once More/Nothing Remains The Same Medley by the Detroit Spinners. It’s on a 12” single. It’s actually the Spinners, but they went by the other name in England. Atlantic Records.

Another Son

The first Carpenters, Carpenter/Bettis remake I ever heard and own, is the Yesterday Once More/Nothing Remains The Same Medley by the Detroit Spinners. It’s on a 12” single. It’s actually the Spinners, but they went by the other name in England. Atlantic Records.
I had The Spinners’ version on single at the time it was released and have the long version on CD now. I like it, although, of course, it’s totally different from K&R’s version. I think a reason that it wasn’t a hit was that they released about four remakes in medley form on singles in close succession. I think people thought, ‘Here they go again - same old idea - exactly the same formula.....’

Walkinat9

A rapper also took part of Karen’s “it’s really you”.
Thanks Jarred, I *knew* I had heard one of Karen's unreleased solo songs in a rapsong on YT some time ago (if only I could remember the new title)
I actually think that the chorus of Karen's "Midnight" could lend itself to a rapsong, similar to the way Warren G used Michael McDonald's "I keep forgettin'". Some civilized lyrics and a nice funky beat added to it and who knows, might be a hit :wiggle:

Top Bottom