Karen's bequeath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Hey Gang,

Does anyone know who and what Karen bequeathed? I've heard everything went to Richard. I'm wondering what kind of fortune Karen amassed in her brief life? I'm curious to know the $$$ figure that the "royalties" from CarpenterS music generates? I heard from someone who heard from someone that the estate of Elvis brought in an est. $38 mill last year alone. In one interview from approx 1972, Richard alluded to the fact that both he AND Karen were already millionaires. I'd like to know just what the duo was paid to record for A&M? Somebody out there has access to this info. Thought I'd start here...

Not minding my own business...again...

Jeff

I recently picked up a photocopy of Karen's will via another ebay member. Wills are part of the public record so can be accessed and copied, legally. The front page appears to have the correct clerk stamps, dates and signatures.

Karen's personal possessions went to her parents and Richard. The will was amended so that her house and the household possessions went to her husband, since she was still legally married when she died.

Everything else went into a trust administered by Richard. The income from the trust was to be used for the benefit of her parents and Richard as Richard saw fit. The principle of the estate was to remain untouched except to pay expenses or taxes as decided by Richard.

According to the will, once her parents and Richard die, the remaining principle and undistributed income are to go to Joan Will and Bernice Rudolph in equal shares or their estates.

Interesting...I was under the impression that Karen was divorced at the time of her death. I have often wondered what Tom Burris' take is on this tragic turn of events. As far as I know, he's been respectful and hasn't had a harsh word to say that would blemish Karen or the family. Still, in garnering information regarding Karen's 'final' days, I would like to hear the whole story..from all sides.

piecing the puzzle,

Jeff

I really do not want to mention any shadow over your interest of discovery on this topic, but my feeling is that some things are meant to be kept within a family and private. The Carpenter family may also feel that Karen would have liked to keep this part of her life personal, as far as the all sides and angles with respect to the revelation of her last days on earth.

I know that I do not like my struggles to be posted from anyone's perspective but my own.

Craig

Craig I agree with you. I am also against all those Will/Testaments etc etc...stuff being sold on ebay, each time I see them a part of me aches. I personally don't need to know all that stuff and although it may be publically known for all to see, do we really need to know? I think not.

Granted, I came off badly in that last post...however, I'm not inquiring about anything that hasn't already BEEN revealed and I find that a better understanding as to the who,what and why's might at some point offer support where there was largely none available before. This type of tragedy can only be averted w/knowledge, awareness and compassion. As far as Karen's bequeath...I simply wondered who acquired all of the wonderful things she treasured and would deeply hope that nothing was squandered. After all, all we have left of Karen is what she left behind...

take it easy folks,

Jeff

I don't think that there is anything wrong with wanting to know about who Karen bequeathed her will to. I think there is a slight fascination with knowing more about her. I know I am that type of person who is interested in these kinds of things. Death is a part of living, and sad to say but true, when you become a celebrity, you know that there will be great interest in your personal life, and not just your professional life. There will be people taking your pics, wanting your autograph, wanting a piece of your time, your clothes, hair, your life etc. That comes with the responsiblity and the territory. Karen knew what she was getting into, as did Richard. Mind you, it was easier on them then nowadays and the hundred different ways you can be marketed. Your schooling on how to hold a mike, talk to an audience, dress yourself, relate to fans is something that is now taught. In Karen's day it wasn't. But she was not naive and stupid. She knew that with her fame came people that would stalk her, and fall in love with her obsessively to the point of her own protection. Remember that guy that parked out of her Newville home and kept shouting "Karen!" and Dad Carpenter came outside. The police were called and there was nothing to do because he hadn't broken any laws, so all they could do was drive him to the city limits of Downey, and he could come back on his own free will. So with her fame came the idea that people would want to know everything about her. Which is true. After her death we found out so much about her. But she was still loved despite people finding out of her serious battle with anorexia nervosa, and the fact that she planned to help other victims out by talk shows etc...is amazing. It is a terrible tragedy that she died. So sad! But thru her death she was able to bring such critical attention...worldwide to the media...and save many eating disorder victims.
I don't think wanting to know about her will is a bad thing. It's a personal choice. When I am dead, I couldn't care less who looked at my will or whatever.

My thoughts,
Cameron Longo
[email protected]

I think the discussion taking place here is bordering on "gossip",which isn't really appropriate for this forum.But,I will say that Karen's estate was worth approximately 7 million at the time of her death.(info from a reliable source).However,that figure is really meaningless,considering the enormous income that has been generated into Karen's estate since her death.Incidentally,I wasn't aware that wills were accessible on ebay.Now I know why people complain about the "right to privacy" being eroded in America!

This thread has gone far enough. I'm closing it, but not deleting it. Those who wish to read through it may do so, but I'd rather our discussions concentrate on the music aspect of Karen & Richard's lives, not their innermost private lives.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom