Karen’s Best

Song4uman

which 2-3 songs would you say show Karen’s vocals at their very best? They may not be your favorite song...just best lead vocal.

Jonathan

For All We Know /
Rainy Days and Mondays
Yesterday Once More /
Solitaire
Ordinary Fool /
Where Do I Go From Here

I could not choose just three. How about three pairs? This is not counting any Christmas Songs or Oldies.

Most anything Karen sang would actually fit here.

I Need To Be In Love (Bruce Forsythe version)/I Can Dream, Can’t I? Would be my next pair, followed by One More Time/Top of the World, then We’ve Only Just Begun/This Masquerade and Close To You/Boat To Sail, A Song For You/ Love Me For What I Am, You’re The One/Superstar

That’s 3 sets of 3.

This is why I listen to Karen today more than any female voice. There are so many perfect songs.

Last edited:
Fun exercise. Impossible, but fun.
  • Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (“...hang your shining star upon the highest booough”)
  • Ave Maria (the highs, the lows, seemingly effortless. Perfection.)
  • Only Yesterday (kind of cheating to pick this one, since it was literally written around her voice)

Superstar
Solitaire
I Can Dream Can't I

and I agree, it's hard to pick just three! Others I would include are:

Little Altar Boy
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Only Yesterday
Don't Cry For Me Argentina
Make Believe It's Your First Time (solo version)

I almost included that one too, John. :) She's so sophisticated and impressive on "If I Had You". One of her very best.

This is a toughie. If the criteria is "Karen’s vocals at their very best", then these win it for me:

Johnny Angel
If I Had You
Without A Song

However if the criteria is "Karen's lead vocals at their very best, then the list would look very different. For me, these are outstanding lead vocal performances by Karen:

Solitaire
You're The One
The Uninvited Guest

In Order:
#1 Solitaire - Shows every attribute of that beautiful voice.
#2 You're The One - the lyrics; "all I need to know for tomorrow is that you're mine, mine for a lifetime" the way she sings that, leaves me in "awe".
#3 Rainy Days And Mondays - Not an easy song to sing, but she makes it seem effortless.

Last edited:
So, so, difficult!

The "Playful" Karen:
Our Day Will Come
Boat to Sail
B'wana She No Home
Alternate: Please Mr. Postman

The "Serious" Karen:
Ordinary Fool
Make It Easy on Yourself (from Music, Music, Music)
Solitaire
Alternate: Rainy Days and Mondays

The "Solo" Karen:
If We Try
Last One Singing the Blues
Still Crazy After All These Years
Alternate: Make Believe It's Your First Time

Back
Top Bottom