Karen's Magic

Re: Boston Pops appearance. Not to analyze this like the Zapruder Film, but you'll notice the duo had to negotiate a virtual obstacle course just to reach the front of the stage to take their opening bows. Maybe the stage manager thought it less awkward for Karen to descend the steps and sit in the audience than to bump into a lot of personnel and equipment to zigzag her way backstage. That stage was very densely packed.

That's possible, but then it should have been arranged better - I agree with @newvillefan that it was not ideal for Karen to sit in the audience, for reasons he explains.

I agree with you that Karen's voice sounds weak in this, at times, and as you say, we know this was a tough year for her. Yet the inner magic is still there :)

I agree with you that Karen's voice sounds weak in this, at times, and as you say, we know this was a tough year for her. Yet the inner magic is still there

Not only did her personal demons start to physically rear its ugly head late in '74, but that was their busiest touring year, at the sad expense also that we didn't get an album. Her voice needed a rest, but I wish when she did use it that it was recorded in a studio.

It's "imperfections" such as this that I believe made her an All American Sweetheart that we still love instead of a diva.
Amen Mark, she was so down-to-earth. Though she enjoyed the stuff fame brought (cars, homes, money, etc.) - she really never went "Hollywood" and never forgot her roots. I haven't heard/read anything where she ever said something disparaging to anyone or any of her contemporaries in the music business.

Last edited:
According to the Fan Club 1974 Newsletter #34,Feb: Touring took up 132 days that year.
Of those days,
22 days were in UK, 34 days in Las Vegas, 16 days Japan.
American audiences got the rest of those days: 60 days touring USA (excluding Vegas).
Coleman writes: 1971, 145 concerts, 1972, 174 concerts, 1973, 174 concerts, 1975 118 concerts.
As for 1974, Coleman writes 203 concerts (page 137).

The number quoted in the Coleman Bio, for 1974, does not correlate with the Fan Club Itinerary,
which lists each month/day and venue. January is not included--but, that does not account for the big difference.

^^Thanks for "crunching the numbers" GaryAlan. That is a significant amount of time consumed for one number. Just as well I guess as Karen looks very tired during this performance and her vocals just don't have the same "zip" as they usually do. No doubt their grueling 1974 road schedule was really taking its toll at that point.

Although it wasn't broadcast until August 1974, I seem to recall someone mentioning on another thread that the concert was taped in April if I am not mistaken. Also I'm wondering if the people she sat with might have been their friends from Connecticut? Just a gut feeling.

^^You are correct, according to Fan Club Newsletter June 1974,
Boston Pops performance sometime in April.

Back
Top Bottom