Karen's Signature Vocal Recording

Terry Ellis must have been interviewed by Ray Coleman for the first bio because some of his comments about their stage act are included there, but it’s interesting that he has never gone on camera or on the record about his relationship with Karen in any of the TV or radio documentaries that have ever been made.
I think it’s kind of classy that he keeps that private.

Just wanted to acknowledge your choice here, Harry, as I think Hurting Each Other is an oft-overlooked gem that was both incredibly popular and extremely well done, as you say, with both Karen's vocals and Richard's arrangement. This song has always been in my top 5 Carpenters songs list. The backing vocal tracks are brilliantly done.
What's fun in the Jerry Dunphy interview is to watch them in the studio doing vocal overdubs for this song. Now I imagine them doing this on all the songs. Also why I have a special feeling for Only Yesterday, with the recording studio portions.

What's fun in the Jerry Dunphy interview is to watch them in the studio doing vocal overdubs for this song. Now I imagine them doing this on all the songs. Also why I have a special feeling for Only Yesterday, with the recording studio portions.

If memory serves me right, it was only before ‘Horizon’ that they stood together side by to record the overdub stacks. After that, with the advent of 48 track recording, they each went into the booth on their own while the other stayed at the mixing desk, listened and gave feedback.

If memory serves me right, it was only before ‘Horizon’ that they stood together side by to record the overdub stacks. After that, with the advent of 48 track recording, they each went into the booth on their own while the other stayed at the mixing desk, listened and gave feedback.

Karen never recorded with 48 tracks; only 24 tracks were available at that point on a multitrack machine. The tech didn't move to 48 tracks until well after she passed away. You could lock two 24 track machines together to create 48 tracks but Carpenters never did that.

Ed

Karen never recorded with 48 tracks; only 24 tracks were available at that point on a multitrack machine. The tech didn't move to 48 tracks until well after she passed away. You could lock two 24 track machines together to create 48 tracks but Carpenters never did that.

Ok 24 track then :). My point was they switched tack to doing overdubs alone from then on, which I don’t think is commonly known.

Last edited:

Ed
Actually, it appears the Carpenters did use this technique. See page 245 of the Chris May / Mike Cidoni Lennox book where there is a discussion of analog tape synchronization with respect to the recording of (Want You) Back in My Life Again.

Actually, it appears the Carpenters did use this technique. See page 245 of the Chris May / Mike Cidoni Lennox book where there is a discussion of analog tape synchronization with respect to the recording of (Want You) Back in My Life Again.

Given the “kitchen sink” approach on that tune, I can’t say I’m surprised. Interesting…. Thanks for the info.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom