Karen's Signature Vocal Recording

To me they have many signature songs, so I'd have to go with Yesterday Once More, Goodbye To Love, I Won't Last A Day Without You, Rainy Days And Mondays, I Need To Be In Love, Only Yesterday, and of course, Close To You.
I know they're a lot, but I think these are the songs that encapsulate the Carpenters' sound the best.

For me, it’s “Make It Easy on Yourself.” The 1980 version is probably better overall—definitely more polished—but the way she sings the word “caress” in the 1974 version is cold chills material. I’ve tried to figure out exactly what is lacking there in the 1980 version, but I can’t pinpoint it.

Good observation on the 1980 version being more polished. The 1980 version was recorded in a studio in March 1980 for tracks on the TV Special Music, Music, Music.

The 1974 version had more energy as it was from a live recording. It was recorded during a show at the Riviera Las Vegas and was mixed by Richard in 1985 adding a kick, bass, piano and background vocals due to an error in the original 1974 recording. Karen’s lead, the orchestra and the drum kit are the only parts that came through on the original tape.

The original Japan limited edition 1985 Anthology LP set did not include the Medley. The Medley was released on the CD Anthology (89) set Catalog number: PCCY-10023 (Japan). Anthology was re-released twice, in 1989 and 1997. The 1971 Studio Album track includes a very abbreviated Make It Easy on Yourself.

Another one I should add: it may not have been a hit, but I feel that “Someday” is one of Karen’s best leads, just with how controlled she is in some parts and even yet much emotion she puts into other parts. And you have to remember that she was only 19 at the time. That’s only two years older than me, and I simply cannot imagine anyone around my age being able to sing like that, with such a mature sound.

Good observation on the 1980 version being more polished. The 1980 version was recorded in a studio in March 1980 for tracks on the TV Special Music, Music, Music.

The 1974 version had more energy as it was from a live recording. It was recorded during a show at the Riviera Las Vegas and was mixed by Richard in 1985 adding a kick, bass, piano and background vocals due to an error in the original 1974 recording. Karen’s lead, the orchestra and the drum kit are the only parts that came through on the original tape.

The original Japan limited edition 1985 Anthology LP set did not include the Medley. The Medley was released on the CD Anthology (89) set Catalog number: PCCY-10023 (Japan). Anthology was re-released twice, in 1989 and 1997. The 1971 Studio Album track includes a very abbreviated Make It Easy on Yourself.
So was Karen drumming for the recorded Riviera Vegas medley that was released on the Japan Anthology CD?

So was Karen drumming for the recorded Riviera Vegas medley that was released on the Japan Anthology CD?
No, not on this one, she didn't. This time it was Cubby all the way.

Love this version of the Medley, especially with the inclusion of ANY DAY NOW and BABY, IT'S YOU - maybe even more than the 1971 BBC concert version - sound quality is surprisingly good but too bad there isn't a video - were they using some pre-recorded music in the background?

And Karen's voice - beautiful as ever but is there a very slight "edge" or "roughness"? Too much live performing? Side effect of her "health problems"? In transition still to full maturity? Am I hearing things? All of the above? Listen especially to her killer version of MAKE IT EASY ON YOURSELF at the 8:33 mark...What do you think?

Last edited:
Love this version of the Medley, especially with the inclusion of ANY DAY NOW and BABY, IT'S YOU - maybe even more than the 1971 BBC concert version - sound quality is surprisingly good but too bad there isn't a video - were they using some pre-recorded music in the background?

Some of the multitracks from the concert soundboard weren’t working correctly and the audio wasn’t recorded on the night - the kick drum, bass and Richard’s backing vocals. Richard had to add these in the studio in the 1980s when working on this medley for the anthology. That’s why much of it sounds pre-recorded - because it is.

Some of the multitracks from the concert soundboard weren’t working correctly and the audio wasn’t recorded on the night - the kick drum, bass and Richard’s backing vocals. Richard had to add these in the studio in the 1980s when working on this medley for the anthology. That’s why much of it sounds pre-recorded - because it is.
I was thinking specifically of the background harmony vocals throughout - they seem very full and tight and really solid and so at least maybe partly pre-recorded - if not, then the whole band really had it all together after what was many hours (years) of rehearsal...

I was thinking specifically of the background harmony vocals throughout - they seem very full and tight and really solid and so at least maybe partly pre-recorded - if not, then the whole band really had it all together after what was many hours (years) of rehearsal...

Yeah they’re pretty much all Richard multitracked in the studio.

And Karen's voice - beautiful as ever but is there a very slight "edge" or "roughness"? Too much live performing? Side effect of her "health problems"? In transition still to full maturity? Am I hearing things? All of the above? Listen especially to her killer version of MAKE IT EASY ON YOURSELF at the 8:33 mark...What do you think?
I love this version, too. It's right up there with my all time favorites. I'm not quite picking up on the same roughness or edge you are, but I don't have many live performances to compare it to. I wonder if her singing was the good live all the time?

If I had to choose one song that I consider to be Karen Carpenters' signature tune.. I'd likely say that it was "We've Only Just Begun"... It is one of those songs that within in three seconds of hearing Karen's vocal you know exactly who it is singing.. Yes, other songs from their vast catalog of hits also have the same quality but We've Only Just Begun sticks out in my mind. And it was a bank commercial of all things! Karen was all of 20 when she laid down her vocal track for the song... and yet she sounds like a young woman that has been married to a great guy, has a few kids running around and the perfect white house, with two cars, a garage and a dog... That's just how powerful she was as a singer... could take a song and wring out every drop of emotion from it...

It's often cited, but I guess it can be repeated, but I find Superstar to be her signature.
The power, control and emotion of her performance is electrifying every time - and I've probably listened to that track over 5,000 times over the years.
When I play the Carpenters to friends who are unaware of, or dubious about, their music ('aren't they the cheesy group who did Top of the World and Close to You?'), generally without fail people are hugely impressed with Superstar.
It's also a bit more 'rocky' than their other hits, the lyric slightly more risqué, and even the video more brooding and atmospheric than some others - which I think gives my friends, at least, a sense of Karen's raw talent, range and breadth.
And then, of course, when it finishes, I like to point out 'this was essentially the first take she recorded'. That converts 'em fully!

generally without fail people are hugely impressed with Superstar.

My late dad absolutely loved this song. Whenever I had the 69-73 Singles Overture on at home, all my dad had to hear was that three note oboe and he’d exclaim “I love that song!”. I also vividly remember him being at my home in Spain many years ago, we had the tunes playing in my garden and “We’ve Only Just Begun” came on. I think it was really the first time he’d ever laid back, relaxed and actually listened to her vocal. He said to me “she had a really lovely voice that girl”.

My late dad absolutely loved this song. Whenever I had the 69-73 Singles Overture on at home, all my dad had to hear was that three note oboe and he’d exclaim “I love that song!”. I also vividly remember him being at my home in Spain many years ago, we had the tunes playing in my garden and “We’ve Only Just Begun” came on. I think it was really the first time he’d ever laid back, relaxed and actually listened to her vocal. He said to me “she had a really lovely voice that girl”.
And he was absolutely spot on! Great to hear how you shared Karen’s vocal magic with him (and, no doubt, many many others)

It's often cited, but I guess it can be repeated, but I find Superstar to be her signature.
When I play the Carpenters to friends who are unaware of, or dubious about, their music ('aren't they the cheesy group who did Top of the World and Close to You?'), generally without fail people are hugely impressed with Superstar.
This is invariably the enthusiastic response of music video "reactors" on YouTube - there is one young lady whose jaw literally drops when Karen starts to sing. Then she stops the video after the first verse to say something, but is speechless for about 15 seconds or so. And then she finally blurts out how she used to love Luther Vandross's version and how "haunting" Karen's voice is...[she has by now reacted to a couple dozen Carpenter songs and is a gigantic Karen fan girl - she goes by the name Day One Reacts]...

I love the song and Richard's masterful arrangement - as far as the vocal goes its truly amazing either way but I prefer her live version on the 1971 BBC concert - there is no overdubbing of her lead vocal on the choruses and one can hear just how incredibly good she actually, naturally was...

Carpenters had the fastest transition from hot top 40 pop act to Las Vegas lounge act ever to be witnessed. It's too bad they never found solid management, and that they obsessed over singles and top 40. The release of Sing really signalled the turning of the tides, and by the time Made in America rolled around they had really lost their way in the struggle to remain popular or relevant. Such a shame, as they really tried so hard to always do good work.
How different would things have been if Karen and Terry Ellis had made a union as spouses AND management. Oh well.

How different would things have been if Karen and Terry Ellis had made a union as spouses AND management. Oh well.
I've wondered about that too - somewhere it was intimated that her constant and overextended touring schedule - and he being situated in GB much if the time - kept them apart and ended any serious consideration of a permanent relationship - I don't know how true that is but it seems to make sense - it looks like he was THE ONE because it was also reported that she tried later to get back with him, but he was engaged to someone else...a marriage to him might have made a big, big difference for her - the personal happiness she so deeply wanted and deserved, and perhaps the children she so strongly desired - not to mention the career change possibilities...and just maybe some resolute help in beating the "malnutrition problem" - yes, a lot to expect or hope for from a romantic relationship, but who knows...

Terry Ellis must have been interviewed by Ray Coleman for the first bio because some of his comments about their stage act are included there, but it’s interesting that he has never gone on camera or on the record about his relationship with Karen in any of the TV or radio documentaries that have ever been made.

Back
Top Bottom