Karen's Solo album

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm listening to both the official album and then the easy to access outtakes as I work.
I'm 100% happy with what was chosen to be on the final album vs. what was left off. That said, I love "Somethings Missing" and "I Do It for Your Love" in particular. As far as Karen singing too high, "It's Really You" is the worst offender of all of it.

Count me in as a fan of All Because Of You also. Love the acoustic guitar and Karen's bluesy delivery ("I keep singin' my love song"). So unique from the disco-oriented material.

I don't have a problem with the running order myself. 'Lovelines' is a perfect side opener (so apt in fact that was used to do the same job equally well on the Lovelines album). There is a bit of switching between tempos between songs, but that's quite usual on an album. If anything, it's better than putting similar tempo or sounding songs too close together - for instance, I've always felt 'Love Me for What I Am' gets lost in the running order on Horizon coming directly after the similar-sounding 'Goodbye and I Love You'. The Temperton-influenced tracks on the solo album couldn't all run together, so they had to be spaced out by different-sounding songs.

Presuming that 'Remember When Lovin' would start Side 2 of the album (as again it did on Lovelines), that doesn't seem a bad way to mix and split up the tracks. I suppose I don't define 'ballad' in the same way ('Guess I Just Lost My Head' for instance I don't consider to be a ballad). There are some slower tracks on there, but 'Make Believe It's Your First Time' is the only real full-on ballad on the whole album, so they don't seem to dominate things.

I have to agree with you. It just feels like everyone is being way too picky here.

Well, everyone has their own take on the song,
But, for me, Karen's vocal "styling" is quite incredible.
A simple arrangement, Karen's fantastic vocal nuances,
for me, the song works.

The emphatic, clipped delivery on "All Because" reminds me a bit of the style she used on "A Song for You" (specifically, the section beginning, "You taught me / precious secrets..."). Then there's the lyric in "All Because" that makes a sideways reference to "A Song for You". For those reasons, I hear those two songs as companion pieces, in a way.

It is amusing that one of the reasons I am not particularly fond of Richard's lead vocals,
is that (imho) he usually sings in too high a key for my tastes (in male vocalists) !

Mr J, Since this is a forum and we are allowed express how we feel, it's quite appropriate for fans to want to express how we feel emotionally about Karen's solo album. If someone wants to let her solo album collect dust and never play it so be it that is ones choice. Evidence from your posting there are some fans that truly love Karen's voice and the music not only she and Richard made but also what she and Phil made as well. No it may not have been a commercial hit however to the fans it's an emotional bond between Karen and the listener (might I add the same bond when we hear her on a Carpenters album) and that bond becomes even stronger because it was Karen's solo album, it was all about her. How can someone who loves her voice (like me) consider that there would be no interest in what she created on her own? The solo album had much more to it than just the songs that appear between the cover, it was more about Karen becoming a woman and identifying with who she was as an artist. It would be silly to think there would be no interest in what she created as a solo artist, how she felt about the project and just how important it was to her that she accomplished this on her own. It's been noted over and over how proud she felt of this whole project. It's great that Richard extracted the tracks he felt worthy enough to appear on Lovelines, however it's even greater praise that the album was finally released the way Karen intended it to be.

I might also refer to a previous post from Mr J
http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8556&highlight=

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7384&highlight=

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3810&highlight=

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3760&highlight=

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23368&highlight=#23368

Again we all have the right to express how we feel about what we like and dislike but this board is basically for fans that love both the music of Richard and Karen and also Karen work as a solo artist. To say that songs from Time, Karen's solo album and As Time Goes By were just not worthwhile to release, terrible and a love starved woman, pathetic and horrible....is just pretty cruel to say the least. It's a pretty simple reason why there is so much interest in Karen's solo album..it's because we loved her as an artist and believed she had the voice of an angel, I truly believe to this day that my ears will never hear another voice as that of Karen. Her solo material may not have been a commercial hit but the album serves no lesser of interest because of that.

WOW that was well said !!!!

I think this thread has outlived its usefulness. Ten years is a long time and the subject has been thrashed to the point of people sniping at each other.

If there's something that you want to say about the solo album that hasn't been said before, feel free to start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom