Karen's Solo album

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree Chris. He seems to talk with some amount of pride about this song... but to hear that Karen fainted at the mic, that was also a new one on me, and not something chronicled anywhere else that I know of.

What kinda bothers me more is that this was another episode due to her using quaaludes or laxatives, which caused her to pass out at Phil's house on one occasion, as documented in the Coleman book.

Maybe her frail health didn't allow her lung power to hold out on this occasion in the studio. I know from singing live on repeated takes, if you do it too much, using excessive air and concentration, you go light headed due to lack of oxygen.

My apologies. I see that scrolling down does indeed take one to the interview.

The fact that a log-in screen appears at the top of the forum page amongst all of the pictures fooled me. Intuitively, it looked like there wouldn't be any reason to scroll down.

Again - accept my apologies.

Harry

I am not a computer savvy guy. I posted the link. Then I posted again. I tried to recreate the underlines etc. and did my best to get this info. to the gang and I stink at it. Then I went to the Rick site and compared the link stuff digit by digit 'cause Steve on here really wanted to see it. Although I copied and pasted the Rick link it omitted the '&' in two spots. When I studied it and added the '&' it worked.
You were correct Harry when stating that the link did not work. When I added the '&' it did. I did it after having read your post. I take full responsibiility for that. Have a peaceful evening/morning everyone.

It's understandable why Harry felt you had to register to see the post. I think it more has to do with the way his website is set up and maybe what kind of monitor setting you have. I can only speak for myself but I keep my monitor setting at 1280x1024 with text size at med. When you click that link for his website, it's kind of deceiving cause all you see is the top part with welcome guest and log in. For someone who has never visited (like me until today) you wouldn't think to scroll down if you were not registered. I wonder why there is so much space between the top and what is on the bottom? Maybe it's my PC settings. In any case it was a interesting interview, thanks.

Stephen, I know what you mean because Phil has given alot of interviews in the various docu's floating around and not once have I ever heard him say she fainted during the recordings and he is someone that is pretty straight forwarded and not afraid to say how things really were. I just found it odd that after all this time we are hearing this for the first time, not that I don't believe it, just odd. I do love the idea that John Farrar wrote this song and as we know Karen made the final decision on what songs would appear on her solo CD and she picked one of John Farrar's song, I often wonder what Olivia thought of that?

Stephen, I know hat you mean because Phil has given a lot of interviews in the various docu's floating around and not once have I ever heard him say she fainted during the recordings and he is someone that is pretty straight forwarded and not afraid to say how things really were. I just found it odd that after all this time we are hearing this for the first time, not that I don't believe it, just odd.

Yeah that's what I thought too! Strange how we haven't heard this from Phil, given how many times he has been interviewed and how often he's spoken candidly about her situation at that time. Not thinking specifically about Karen, but in a controlled environment like a recording studio, I'm wondering what makes someone hyperventilate? Is it stress or inability to cope with a situation? Or just a simple lack of breath?

I do love the idea that John Farrar wrote this song and as we know Karen made the final decision on what songs would appear on her solo CD and she picked one of John Farrar's song, I often wonder what Olivia thought of that?

Me too! I'd love to know if Olivia ever mentioned to Karen something like 'you picked one of my songwriter's songs!' :)

Hi Rick:

Are the interviews with Rob and Russell on this website as well? I couldn't find them - are there links or do I have to register?

Thanks!

Rick said:
As for my site or forum crashing anybody's computer, this is not true
I didn't say your site crashed my computer, soft that protects my computer from virus told me that virus attacked my computer, then the virus was removed, so my computer didn't crash. (The name of virus that the soft told me sounded funny. It has virus at the end. Win something virus? I hadn't known the virus that had virus in name. I think I can find the name, if I search for the record.) I wrote;
I don't think Rick or the webmaster intended to crash my computer.

in above post. And when it told me, I opened only your site and the soft was always watching virus.

Rick said:
I ask, out of respect to Liberty DeVitto and The Carpenters Online, please not to copy the article

I knew that Harry posted my post to another site as quote.
I usually copy net article and paste it to forums, (I am not an English speaker, so I'm afraid if I may change the writer's intention.) I usually add the link or where I found, sometimes even I write how I found.
In another thread I posted about Mr. Pooler from my memory, then I searched for articles and posted titles of the article, the name of the writer and links to the web articles.
( In the "it's a small world" category...
http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8980 )

I copied an article, "Life Story: Karen Carpenter" on Australian 'Marie Claire' and pasted it to another group with link to the web article on March 8( at American time).
When I visited your site for the first time in long time, I read your post (Thread Started on Mar 17, 2008, 7:51pm) about the same article, but you didn't even post the link, only article. If you got the magazine, (I don't have the magazine,) would you let me know what else was written and what photos were printed, please?

You copied and pasted the article on Marie Claire to your forum, and are we not allowed to copy your article? At least I didn't copy and paste your interview here.

I just wrote 'copy' because goodjeans wrote ( Sun 3/30/08 7:02 am)
I can't copy

I have thought Stephen could read the interview and just point out that the second link didn't work.
I thought Marilyn would like to read the interview. But she may not visit the site if she reads Harry's comment(Sun 3/30/08 6:10 am). So I posted the link to the old page that I read the interview.

I have read that Karen was to make her solo album in 6 months, so I don't think it would be double album.
I talked with Russell Javor at another forum before he joined this forum. He is very kind to me. He answered me, he even sent me PM!!
I listened to an radio phone interview with Karen about "Made in America" in June 1981. She answered how many songs they recorded for the album. I guess she would record more if the solo album was to be a double album. If her double album would have been released, it would be great, though.

Rick said:
The comment made on Karen's album intended to be a double album was discovered during my interviews with Lib, Rob, and Rusell Javors

I read the interview with Liberty and Rob's letter. I read an interview with Russell that your moderator or someone posted to another group. I cannot recall where 'Karen's album intended to be a double album' was written.
Could you quote the parts? Thank you.

Sakura

Just to clarify the rules here, it is OK to post an article's text as long as a link is given to the original article. In fact, it's BETTER to post the text itself because links have a way of going dead after a while, especially links to newspapers, magazines and such.

On the other hand, we realize that some publishers or authors may not want to have their material posted here, so we honor their wishes.

Thanks for thinking of me, Sakura. I did follow your link and read the interview. Very interesting, especially about the hyperventilation. It IS peculiar that Phil Ramone never mentioned it at all.

Marilyn

SakuraSYayoi said:

I'm unclear as to what you are referring to here. Which post? Which site?

Harry

thestitch said:
Thanks for thinking of me, Sakura. I did follow your link and read the interview. Very interesting, especially about the hyperventilation. It IS peculiar that Phil Ramone never mentioned it at all.

Marilyn

Thank you, Marilyn for the message!!

Harry said:
SakuraSYayoi said:

Harry

Hi Harry,

I posted an information (Singles 1969-1973 is available in Japan with the link to audio sample of HMV) to this forum. I think I saw my post in Harry's message at S.F. forum. You introduced my post as quote from a Japanese member of the A&M Corner Forum or something. I was honored!!

Several months before I posted the information here, there is a fan who re-discovered Carpenters in summer of 2004, I talked about phase guitar and vibes of "Yesterday Once More" with him, he sent an email about this to official site, and Becky sent him back, Richard's answer in December. So I must have post the information in spring of 2005, to a topic about "Yesterday Once More" or "Singles".

You are good at finding old threads, Harry. I think you have already recalled the threads or you are going to find them very soon.

Sakura

SakuraSYayoi said:
Harry said:
]
SakuraSYayoi said:

Harry

Hi Harry,

I posted an information (Singles 1969-1973 is available in Japan with the link to audio sample of HMV) to this forum. I think I saw my post in Harry's message at S.F. forum. You introduced my post as quote from a Japanese member of the A&M Corner Forum or something. I was honored!!

Sakura

OK, now I remember. I sometimes think of the S.H. Forums as an extension of here and vice versa. There have been many threads over there about the SINGLES 1969-1973 album and all of its various pressings and versions. When Sakura's news was posted here about a new Japanese reissue, I probably quoted the information over there.

Ah - here's the post - and I lifted everything from here including the name and post count!

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=977116&postcount=39

Harry

Harry said:
Ah - here's the post - and I lifted everything from here including the name and post count!

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=977116&postcount=39

Harry

That's the post, Harry. Join date and post count are too much. lol

So I was talking about "Gold" in the post. Gold 35th anniversary edition has never been released in Japan, though it was mentioned at Universal Music page after my post.

SACD and the Ultimate Collection have not been released in Japan, either. Richard told me in the letter that he was working on two projects for Japan to be released in 2007, the "Ultimate Collection" and "Singles Collection Box".

Why wasn't the Ultimate Collection released?

Sakura

These posts have made me re-listen (several times!) to "Remember When Lovin' Took All Night". Guessing, and ONLY guessing on my part.... Karen may have fainted or hyperventilated while recording those backing vocals. Especially near the end of the track. Check them out... notes that were held for a long time and some at a high pitch.
Donna Summer did the same thing (fainted, hyperventilated) while recording the duet with Streisand and trying to hold a note to match Streisand. Donna fainted...Barbra kept holding the note! Not saying it's normal, by any means, but can happen.
Kind of like blowing up too many balloons as fast as you can without taking many breaths!
Just my 2 cents.

aaflyer98 said:
These posts have made me re-listen (several times!) to "Remember When Lovin' Took All Night". Guessing, and ONLY guessing on my part.... Karen may have fainted or hyperventilated while recording those backing vocals. Especially near the end of the track. Check them out... notes that were held for a long time and some at a high pitch....
Kind of like blowing up too many balloons as fast as you can without taking many breaths!
Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like a good guess to me. Not only are those long notes but there's a lot of them. She had to "stack" it (i.e. she had to sing one part, and another, and another, on and on like that) and that's not easy.

Ed

You know, with each passing year it seems I learn more and more about Karen's solo album. I remember when I first heard it I really loved it and that same feeling from the first time has carried over all these years later. I think sometimes as the listener (including myself here) we take for granted how difficult it was for the normal person to have done what Karen had the ability to do. I mean just listening to a song like "If I Had You" or "Remember When Lovin Took All Night" sometimes we hear it and we really don't understand what it really took from Karen to accomplish what we hear, sometimes you have to really hear and listen to everything in the song. Sometimes we get stuck on just the lyrics and take for granted the overall effect of the song and what Karen did "within the lyrics".

Interesting to read everyones' comments. I wonder if the title of this thread could be changed to reflect what this thread is really all about since we kinda went off topic but stayed on topic of Carpenters. :D "why don't we hear" seems sooo vague and doesn't give the reader or viewer any idea about what inside the thread. lol

[Moderator note: Thread title changed and split off from other thread]

STEPHEN-The solo album cover was used for "Voice Of The Heart" because A&M(or Richard) had no intention of releasing the solo album back in 1983.Richard only decided on the four solo tracks for "Lovelines" when he first started production work on that album in early 1989.

The solo album cover was used for "Voice Of The Heart" because A&M(or Richard) had no intention of releasing the solo album back in 1983.Richard only decided on the four solo tracks for "Lovelines" when he first started production work on that album in early 1989.

Yeah I realised that, I know the question was asked in the fanclub letters in the 1980s 'will Karen's solo album ever be released?'. The emphatic answer was 'No'. It's just a shame that it never got to adorn the album it was supposed to.

Stephen

In the phone interview that I mentioned in this topic, Karen was asked about her solo album. She said that she put it aside. We had to give up. She was just back as Carpenters.

I'd really love to watch the original solo art work in the information that Mark shared with us.
I have sent request to Universal Music before; original art work of solo album, Deka jake.

Fans' power made Karen's solo released.
I read that the album sold over 100,000 in 2 weeks when it was released. In Japan the album was released again for Karen's 20th anniversary.
Can I hope it will be released with original art work for 30th anniversary of the recording or Karen's 60th birthday?

Sakura

Sakura,
I would love to be able to see the whole thing again! The album cover was beautiful in its roses, purples and lavenders. Just stunning!
One day maybe someone with photoshop will try to do a color correction on some of these photos...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom