Karen's Theme

I have only recently heard Karen's Theme as I've never heard Richard's "Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor" album. I was "moved" by it. My only complaint would be that maybe he should've expanded it (draw it out a little longer). While doing the research for this song, I was intrigued by Richard's comments concerning the song and its history:

"We all make mistakes, and one of my biggest was allowing myself to be persuaded into authorizing, and participating in, the making of The Karen Carpenter Story, approximately 90 minutes of creative license that give biopics, in general, a dubious name. I wrote the opening melody of “Karen’s Theme” for one of many fictitious scenes in the movie, which first aired – to monumental ratings – on January 1, 1989. I completed the melody, arranged and recorded the piece, in late 1996 for my album, Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor that was released by A&M in March 1997."

Taken from the richardandkarencarpenter.com website

I have only recently heard Karen's Theme as I've never heard Richard's "Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor" album. I was "moved" by it. My only complaint would be that maybe he should've expanded it (draw it out a little longer).

I’ve got the perfect solution for you: stick “Prelude” from the album at the beginning of “Karen’s Theme”. They segue beautifully and sound like one longer piece of music.

"We all make mistakes, and one of my biggest was allowing myself to be persuaded into authorizing, and participating in, the making of The Karen Carpenter Story, approximately 90 minutes of creative license that give biopics, in general, a dubious name”

This quote has always confused me, because I’ve read elsewhere that the reason he chose to make a movie about Karen’s story was because he feared someone else might. So he can hardly then complain that he was “persuaded into authorising” it when it’s he who wanted it in the first place.

Richard Carpenter, Aug 15, 1988:
"If I'd had my druthers, it wouldn't have been made at all."
---
"Look, I've been ambivalent on this from the word go," Carpenter said tersely."
---
"When Jerry Weintraub (the other co-executive producer of the movie) proposed the idea to me, his reasoning was that for all celebrities, there are parts of our private lives that are matters of public record. And somebody else could do this without our blessing.
Karen's story wouldn't have been as well told by someone else; it just wouldn't."
----
Here:
RICHARD CARPENTER TELLS KAREN'S STORY

”Karen's story wouldn't have been as well told by someone else; it just wouldn't."

So ultimately then, still his decision.

Also, nowhere in the opening or closing titles of the movie is Jerry Weintraub listed as “co-executive producer”.

Last edited:
An excerpt from Washington Post, June 1985 (Richard Carpenter):
"The movie, which is the least definite project, he said, was not initiated by him.
Manager "Jerry Weintraub called me and said he had heard a lot of talk from different people about making a movie and he was worried that if it were made without our blessing it wouldn't be accurate. The idea hadn't even crossed my mind."

Source:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ng-solo/36521809-8151-48e5-ae3c-4bac01203e7d/

Richard Carpenter:
"I wrote the opening melody of Karen's Theme for one of many scenes in the 1989 TV Movie...
I completed the melody, arranged and recorded the piece in late 1996 for my album
Producer, Arranger, Composer, Conductor released March 1997." (Liner Notes, Essential Collection 1965-1997).

Back
Top Bottom