Karen''s vocal on SOMEBODY"S BEEN LYIN...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam89

I always think that her vocal on this song from the MADE IN AMERICA collection is so understated, and one of the gentlest ballads that Karen ever sang. Her voice is so rich, so full of emotion. Her intrepetation is astounding. I feel that she has so matured as a vocalist since the early 1970's. Don't get me wrong though. Many of those songs are wonderful, and for her age, very moving and very mature. But I think, at this time in her life in 1980-1981...she was maturing as a woman and as a songstress...and since her attempt at the solo venture in 1979-1980, she wanted to have songs of which she could express her feelings more, I think. Anyways, this song is a chill factor song for me.

Cameron
[email protected]

Hi Cameron

I agree with you, Karen's take on this song is amazing. My favourite bit is the very last line 'were we just too much in love'. The way she holds the last word, and how her voice 'gives' ever so slightly makes it soo emotional. It's a lovely song, written I think by Carole Bayer Sager.

On a similar point, after that last line, where the orchestration takes the song to its close, do you hear the 'creak' that's captured in the recording? Not knowing much about orchestras, I'm not sure what it is, maybe a chair creaking, or the sound of someone plucking an instrument??

Fun to guess though!

Stephen

I agree...this is a great song and craftfully phrased and sung by Karen giving emotional and attention to every detail of line and word.

As for the 'creek', I always thought it was the pipe organ.

Craig

I agree, too. Karen's voice became more female, more emotional and more sophisticated, the older she got. :)

Bruno

"Somebody's Been Lying" is one of my favorite C's songs ever. It combines everything I love about them into one song: Karen's elegant vocal; great lyrics; a gorgeous arrangement; and those awesome overdubbed harmonies which appeared less frequently on later records (thankfully Rich didn't use the OK Chorale on this song). And I LOVE the strings at the very end and how they mimic the 'tip-toeing around' and the deceit between two lovers that this song is about. This was such a sophisticated song all around that I'm surprised it hasn't been culled for use on any of the myriad collections that have come out over the years. It's a jewel in my opinion.

Tony

Well people, don't hate me for that, but I think it's THE MOST ANNOYING SONG THEY EVER RECORDED. I'd rather Druscilla Penny,at least it can make me smile. :tongue: It's one of I wish they never did. But again, it's just me.

As her vocal, I think as she wanted her body looked thinner, she tried to do the same with her voice. You can notice, how her voice became thinner, weaker. In Horizon her voice IS BEAUTIFULLY AND STRONG, for best than ever did and would sound.

Kind like someone said, she had that amazing and beautiful voice, not trained, so free of any kind of style or vice. For sure, she got matured, but lost that amazing caring she used to put into the songs. It's got MUCH TECHNICAL AND LESS HEARTFELT.

So glad she recorded Only Yesterday, Solitaire and All Of My Life before '78. :D

I think Peter Knight's exquisite arrangement is the "chill factor" in "Somebody's Been Lyin".Many people tend to overlook the contributions a great arranger makes to a record(remember Linda Ronstadt and Nelson Riddle?).Peter Knight was the creative force behind some of Karen's best work."Somebody's Been Lyin" is the highlight on an otherwise lackluster album,MADE IN AMERICA.Incidentally,I think a compilation of Karen's work with Peter Knight would have been more appropriate than the upcoming Carpenters-Bettis compilation.(A good title might be "Carpenters with Peter Knight's Orchestra",or possibly "Karen Sings,Peter Knight Swings"?)It would great to have "Little Altar Boy","When I Fall In Love","Look To Your Dreams","Little Girl Blue","What are you doing New Years Eve","Somebody's Been Lyin',"Don't Cry For Me Argentina"(and a few others) all on one album.

In my opinion, Karen's voice didn't become thinner or weaker over the years, but her voice became softer and, I repeat, more female. And I like that. :)

Bruno

Opposed to thinking that Karen's voice waned in later recordings, I believe that her 'lighter' style of singing was more technique and not loss of vocal acuity. For instance the bach/david medley from the t.v. show MMM is gorgeous and displays only the most remarkable vocals. Then there's LITTLE GIRL BLUE, LITTLE ALTAR BOY, YOU"RE THE ONE and the intro to 1980's MMM, A SONG FOR YOU, which displays Karen's lower register intact and ready for song. She began singing young...obvious maturity from the 60's on and further developed her instrument to a fine tuned thing of beauty right up until her passing.

Those were songs of love that I would sing to then...

Jeff

I only think that, as the years gone by, it became more and more rare to hear that low voice. If someone listen to MIA, I don't think that person would classify her as a ALTO.

I never listen to the intro of A Song For You for(one of my top 3,by the way) for MMM. It's the same from ASFY, or she recorded a new lead. I have the same question as of the intro of This Masquerade. I'm not sure she did re-record that part, Richard said she recorded the vocals for the Karen/Ella Medley in her 30th birthday, but I don't know if they used the same lead for that song.

Any cluess? :confused:

The A SONG FOR YOU intro to MMM is a new recording circa 1980. Karen sings it differently than the lp version. Here she sings "I've been so many places in my life and time...I've sung alot of songs I've made some bad rhyme. I've acted out my love in stages with 10,000 people watchin, but we're alone now and I'm singin this song (here's where she drops deep into her lower register) FOOOOOoor you". Hauntingly beautiful and would be a great piece for inclusion on rarities set. Fortunately, I have a copy of MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC and on repeated viewings, I find this to be their classiest t.v. effort up to that time. NO, Karen's voice wasn't waning...she was simply playing her instrument with more finesse and exhibiting greater vocal dynamics.

with an ear for class acts,

Jeff

Well I guess that ears for class acts, we all have, because we all here love her voice!!!

I'm just trying to say that some songs ask for a stronger way of sing, like she did in Mr. Gudder and Another Song.

About the alto voice, Hal Blaine said that the first time she was singing WOJB, she sang very high, so he asked her:"Why don't you sing it lower, it made it much more mellow, that's why we use trompet, bass etc." If you listen to the intro of The Very First Especial Television Show of '76 you'll see she sang it VERY HIGH...making almost a new song. I myself didn't like it. BUT AGAIN IT'S JUST ME.

I'm wish I hear that snipet of MMM, does anyone know where can I find it?
And about This Masquerade, was it redone as well?

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom