🎷 AotW: Jazz Keith Jarrett - THE KÖLN CONCERT

Jazz releases not on the CTi or Horizon labels.

How Would You Rate This Album?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Keith Jarrett
THE KÖLN CONCERT
ECM Records
9bda228348a07973c8ffe010.L._SX300_.jpg

Released 1975

Peaked at #9 on the Jazz Album chart (1976)

Produced by Manfred Eicher

Songs:

1. Köln, January 24, 1975 - Part I - 26:15
2. Köln, January 24, 1975 - Part IIa - 15:00
3. Köln, January 24, 1975 - Part IIb - 19:19
4. Köln, January 24, 1975 - Part IIc - 6:59

All composed by Keith Jarrett
Musicians:
Keith Jarrett - Piano

Recorded live at the Opera in Köln, Germany
January 24, 1975
Engineer: Martin Wieland
Photos: Wolfgang Frankenstein
Cover Design: B&B Wojirsch

Available at Amazon.com (with song samples): http://www.amazon.com/Koln-Concert-...14&sr=1-1&keywords=keith+jarrett+koln+concert

Capt. Bacardi

I first heard this album a couple of years after its release, around '78. At that time I was really into the Mozart piano sonatas. Admittedly I was starting my pothead days and I was mesmerized by Mozart's work on these sonatas, which usually started with a basic theme then took off in different directions. You can make an argument that Mozart was the first true jazz musician. The Köln Concert is basically the same thing. Keith Jarrett starts with a simple theme then takes it to different dimensions. "Part I" got a lot of airplay at our local PBS radio station (no doubt the DJ needed a smoke break and this was a perfect tune for that! :D). The music is simply stunning. At times you start thinking "where'd he come up with that idea?" yet it all works. Jarrett is known for his grunting and groaning on albums, especially on his solo albums (and he's made quite a few), and sometimes that can be a bit tiresome. Bu there's no denying the beauty of the music throughout the entire album. "Part IIc" is probably the most accessible for the average listener. When I was at Berklee someone tried to transcribe this piece in the Real Book, but it just didn't work as a jam tune. This is one of my desert island discs!

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom