🎷 AotW: CTI Kenny Burrell: God Bless the Child (CTI Records CTI 6011)

All the CTI releases
1673477500535.pngKenny Burrell: God Bless the Child

CTI Records CTI 6011
Released 1971
  • A1: Be Yourself /5:55
  • A2: Love Is The Answer /4:50
  • A3: Do What You Gotta Do /9:30
  • B1: A Child Is Born /9:22
  • B2: God Bless The Child /8:00
Arranged By – Don Sebesky
Bass – Ron Carter
Cello – Alan Shulman, Charles McCracken, George Ricci, Lucien Schmit, Seymour Barab
Design [Album] – Bob Ciano
Drums – Billy Cobham
Engineer – Rudy Van Gelder
Guitar – Kenny Burrell
Mastered By – Rudy Van Gelder
Percussion – Ray Barretto
Photography By [Cover] – Pete Turner
Photography By [Liner] – K. Abe
Piano, Electric Piano – Hugh Lawson, Richard Wyands
Producer – Creed Taylor
Trumpet – Freddie Hubbard

Recorded at Van Gelder Studios, April/May 1971

Amazon product ASIN B00WOA8KRO

I'd heard a track or two from this album in passing, but only recently really listened to it all the way through. This was guitarist Kenny Burrell's only date as a leader for CTI, but it is an excellent listen. One thing that struck me about the album were the two tracks on side one, "Be Yourself" and "Love is the Answer"--Sebesky's string arrangements here are unusual and unique, in a style I've rarely heard from his pen before, and well worth hearing. That mixed with the understated guitar of Burrell works magic. This album is a good example of how Creed Taylor could make jazz go down easy--the playing is top notch and the players get their solos, yet the vibe of the album reminds me of a more comfortable version of the albums Wes Montgomery made with Taylor back in the late 60s. So, anyone who enjoys those records would probably enjoy this one as well. A wonderful record.

I heard Kenny Burrell play at Wayne University in Detroit when he was just 18 or 19 years old. The Student Union was where these young musicians were creating jazz...Tommy Flanagan, Art Martigan, Billy Christ, others....I was just 16 years old and would leave Pershing High School early to take the bus and streetcar to Wayne to hear these fabulous players. Detroit was Jazz City.

Back
Top Bottom