Kevin Cronin and his daughter at Westlake High School

Portlander

Was watching a YouTube video with Kevin Cronin of REO Speedwagon (one of my favorites) performing "Can't Fight This Feeling" with his daughter and fellow classmates. All of a sudden I noticed Richard Carpenter in the background sitting at the piano! As the video progressed I realized that Kevin was backstage at the Carpenter Family Center at Westlake High School and there was a very large poster of Richard and the orchestra from the grand opening gala in the background.

After a little more research I found out that Kevin and his family live in an exclusive neighborhood next door to Richard's. I wonder if Richard and Kevin's paths have ever crossed seeing they both reside in Thousand Oaks and are musical legends in their own rights. I'm guessing that their kids went to school together due to the video being from 2014. Kevin should thank Richard for creating the original power ballad (Goodbye To Love) which led to massive success for REO with a couple of their own rock ballads in the early 80's

Sorry about not adding the video, I tried but my computer skills are limited. If someone wants to help it would be appreciated.

Was watching a YouTube video with Kevin Cronin of REO Speedwagon (one of my favorites) performing "Can't Fight This Feeling" with his daughter and fellow classmates. All of a sudden I noticed Richard Carpenter in the background sitting at the piano! As the video progressed I realized that Kevin was backstage at the Carpenter Family Center at Westlake High School and there was a very large poster of Richard and the orchestra from the grand opening gala in the background.

After a little more research I found out that Kevin and his family live in an exclusive neighborhood next door to Richard's. I wonder if Richard and Kevin's paths have ever crossed seeing they both reside in Thousand Oaks and are musical legends in their own rights. I'm guessing that their kids went to school together due to the video being from 2014. Kevin should thank Richard for creating the original power ballad (Goodbye To Love) which led to massive success for REO with a couple of their own rock ballads in the early 80's

Sorry about not adding the video, I tried but my computer skills are limited. If someone wants to help it would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if it's the first but Barry Manilow's "Could it be Magic" beat "Goodbye to Love" by a year. He recorded it in 1971. It wasn't a single until after Carpenter's though.

Edit in: Hey Jude beat 'em both.

Ed

Though "Could it be Magic" is well done and very uptempo towards the end in a very orchestral way I wouldn't classify it as a power ballad and have never seen it identified as one. An extended and prominent guitar solo is missing from both songs. "Goodbye to Love" has been credited as the first by numerous sources since it's release.

Back
Top Bottom