lack of official web site/interesting web site registrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwimAMile

since i'm new here, i've been trying to avoid replicating questions on the site so as not to annoy the regulars. :wink: i haven't seen info about why there's no official web site directed by richard or the carpenter foundation.

by all accounts richard and karen were very careful to control the quality of all things carpenters, including their legacy of music, which i greatly respect. so why not officially manage information about them via the internet? does anyone know an "official" answer? :wink:

it looks like they're keeping the option open with registrations but no activated sites:

consider these Carpenter Foundation registrations:

carpenterfoundation.org (2/4/1999)
carpenterfoundation.com (4/7/1999)
richardcarpenter.com (4/12/1999)
richardcarpenter.org (4/12/1999)

and these richard carpenter registrations:

carpenterfoundation.net (4/21/2000)
richardcarpenter.net (4/21/2000)

the admin contact for all is:
erica nemmers
Carpenter Family Foundation
1880 Century Park E Suite 1600
Los Angeles CA 90067 (310) 712-3550

with varying email addresses:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

both karen.carpenter.name and richard.carpenter.name (3/21/2002) are registered to a high powered los angeles law firm, irell & manell LLP (irell.com).

any connection with richard or the foundation?

looks to me like there's no strategic design to launching a web site, but rather a hodgepodge of registrations through various registrars.

anyone know of a signficance to these registration dates?

i'm also surprised they haven't required the release to them of karencarpenter.com/org/net since celebrity estates usually succeed in gaining control of these.

It's probably more a case of getting ahold of the names to keep them away from squatters. Well worth it, IMHO. There are still plenty of celebrity names that have been hijacked by these (pardon the expression) scumbags who buy them only with the intent to sell them at a highly inflated price. (For a good example, notice that jazz pianist David Benoit's website is http://www.benoit.com ... try http://www.davidbenoit.com, and you're taken to a typical generic squatter "search and shop" domain. (Regulations require that some kind of website be attached to a domain name, even if it's a "coming soon" site. Thing is, these "search and shop" sites usually generate a few pennies for the squatter who has kidnapped the name...all the more reason NEVER to click on any links in these bogus sites!)

And unfortunately, while it's a policy of ICANN and the registrars to intend these names to go to only those who are qualified to use them, they don't enforce it. And why should they? They're making a lot of money off of these squatters! I guess under a lot of legal pressure or court order, they'd have to comply...but how can you justify a company spending thousands on attorney and court fees when paying the same ransom gets you the domain?

When .biz and .info became available, there was a "lottery" where several could apply for a new name, but only one would win it. For a couple of the domains I've registered, I've seen squatters snap up the .biz and .info, thinking we'd be stupid enough to buy it from them. No thanks--got the .com, we're happy. (I won't even talk about the name that got stolen from one of my clients by an unscrupulous individual.)

Only thing I can say is that for the .name domains: the law firm supposedly holding these names had better be representing the Carpenters--the .name domain, from what I've read, is a lot more strict, and ownership by anyone other than the intended persons or families is forbidden. (My opinion of many, but not all, attorneys is not much higher than that of a pile of dog doo.)

I don't see the Carpenter organization putting up a site unless they could turn a profit from it. It costs money for them to create and maintain it...and they may figure some of the collector/informational sites (like ours) and other "fan" sites are taking care of the information side of it. But, it would still be great to have an "official" place to get information from, no denying it!

-= N =-

voiceoftheheart.com is another. Couple of years ago the official site was richardandkaren.com, part of A&M's online operation. Had album information and lyrics, with 60's-sunflower graphics :) and some photos.

Too bad there isn't an official site now. Possibly even a place where you could buy Carpenters albums and the solos, to make it financially viable. Don't know what the licensing/legal difficulties of that would be, however. In the meanwhile, the closest thing to one is www.carpenterarts.org/carpenters.html.

Interesting to note all these reserved Web Sites.....there have been rumours that Richard was interested in an official Carpenters Site....perhaps this will emerge in the new few years ?

Probably needs a Site Developer / Moderator -is Harry interested ??

Carpenters Site could issue for small fee, rare and unissued Material unlikely to be released on Albums / DVD's etc...... :)

Peter....awaiting developments.......

This is Erica Nemmers responding to your inquiry about the registration of the domain names. I was the Director of the Foundation for 2 1/2 years and registered several names with the intent of creating a foundation website, as well as protecting the use of the names by other parties (whoever wrote that was correct).

I hope this answers your questions...

Hello Erica I was wondering if you had the new contact for Richard. I had a letter returned from PO Box 3787 Thousand Oaks CA 91359

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom