Lani and the Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetijuanataxi

I am of the opinion that Lani Hall did the vocal fills on THE LONELY BULL. Furthermore, I think that Herb worked with her before she joined Brasil '66 and may even have had something to do with Brasil '66 getting signed to A&M. How many people agree that Lani was on TLB recording?

David,
NP- "Like A Lover" featuring the lovely Mrs. Alpert

Not at all likely. "Lonely Bull" was recorded in 1962. B66 joined A&M in 1966 with Lani as a fresh new member, and still a teenager. I doubt Herb, recording in Los Angeles, hired a junior high school vocalist out of Chicago for what was in theory a one-shot recording session.

Perhaps Lani had a part in B66 getting signed, if Lani caught Herb's eye at the time they were signed. Again, not likely but morre possible than Lani doing vox on "Lonely Bull."

--Mr Bill
remembering that one of the Kenjolairs once told him Sharon Alpert did the female vocals on "The Lonely Bull"

Didn't Julius Wechter live in Chicago before he worked with Herb? Maybe he introduced Lani to Herb. I could be wrong about Lani singing on LONELY BULL, but it sure sounds like her to me.

David,
wondering if even Herb remembers......

Lani Hall was discovered by Sergio Mendes while singing at a club in Chicago as a young teenager. Sergio asked her to join the group, and was signed to A & M after being presented to Herb by Sergio's manager Richard Adler.
Sergio Mendes and the group, of course fitted perfectly with A & M's profile at the time. According to a TV interwiew with Herb and Lani from 1984 in connection with the Bullish tour, Lani talks about how she was discovered by Mendes and that singing with the group and touring with the TJB made her meet Herb Alpert, thus changing her life.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

Agreed -- there's no way that the vocalist in "The Lonely Bull" is Lani Hall. She would have been way to young, and there's too much documentation that Sergio discovered her in Chicago, before Herb discovered Sergio.

I also have run into discussions on the net that the prominent female vocalist in "South American Getaway" from Burt's BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID is Lani Hall. The timing of that is a lot better, but there's no way it was her on that recording either. There's no similarity in the voices whatsoever, IMHO.

Harry
NP: "South American Getaway", Burt Bacharach

thetijuanataxi said:
Didn't Julius Wechter live in Chicago before he worked with Herb? Maybe he introduced Lani to Herb.

Julius is from Chicago, but he had been working with Martin Denny for a while, as well as being a session man in LA during the "Lonely Bull" sessions. There ain't no way, no how, that Lani was the singer on the tune.

Capt. Bacardi

Julius and Herb attended the same high school in southern California,and by some accounts barely knew each other, and according to others were close friends. It used to be a running gag in the second -generation Brass concerts that Herb would ask Julius what part of New York he was from, and Julius would deadpan, "Chicago."

Lani would have been approximately 14 in 1962 when "The Lonely Bull" was recorded...but she WAS a teenaged prodigy, anyway, even in 1966.

Dan, thinking that there must have been something in the water at Herb and Julius' alma mater...

I'd be willing o bet that it's Julius playing on "I'd Do It All Again" as well as Bob Edmondson playing TBone on "Dina" as well as the same drummer from the "South Of The Border" sessions playing on "Special Kind Of Love". BTW, Herb played some nice pic solos on those pre-TJB recordings.

David,
wondering who that singer was who sounded like Lani......

David.

That's probably right...the drummer most likely was Hal Blaine, he seemed to be on a lot of the early Brass recordings, and I believe that "I'd Do It All Again" was recorded at about the same time that Herb was working on putting SOUTH OF THE BORDER together. Definitely Julius on the vibes...that song has a Righteous Brothers kind of feel to it, doesn't it? Too bad it didn't chart too well; but then, if it DID...we might never have had the TJB. I think a lot of BMB regulars were featured on "Dina", as well...I wonder if Bud Coleman is playing the mandolin at the end...maybe its accoustic guitar...

Dan

Harry said:
I also have run into discussions on the net that the prominent female vocalist in "South American Getaway" from Burt's BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID is Lani Hall.
I've also read speculation that it's Christiane Legrand, longtime Swingle Singer (and sister of composer Michel). That sounds more likely to me, though I wouldn't bet on either.

The bass singer does sound like the guy who sang the "Grinch" song, though. :)

- William

William said:
Harry said:
I also have run into discussions on the net that the prominent female vocalist in "South American Getaway" from Burt's BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID is Lani Hall.
I've also read speculation that it's Christiane Legrand, longtime Swingle Singer (and sister of composer Michel). That sounds more likely to me, though I wouldn't bet on either.

The bass singer does sound like the guy who sang the "Grinch" song, though. :)

- William

The man who sang "Mr. Grinch" was Thurl Ravenscroft. He was also the voice of Tony The Tiger in all of those tv commercials. He's been gone for several years, but was still going strong well into his mid-eighties...an amazing man with an amazing voice! Check out the "behind-the-scene HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS" tv special that FOX shows every year[or used to, now that Phil Hartman and Ravenscroft are both gone, it might not be politically correct to show it anymore...

Dan

Tijuana,

Definately not Lani Hall doing vocal fills on The Lonely Bull. Several reasons 1) she was still undiscovered in Chicago at the time, 2) she would have been a bit too young and, 3) here's the biggie, it's not her vocal quality/style. Lani Hall, IMHO, has lighter/softer/sweeter and more soulful vocal quality than the very capable lady on Lonely Bull. The lady who was used in that session was very good however.

I was just thinking that perhaps Cissy Wechter possibly could supply the answer to this mystery. Afterall, Julius was involved in the session.

Tom...who appears to have all the answers except who the lady is.

DAN BOLTON said:
[The man who sang "Mr. Grinch" was Thurl Ravenscroft. He was also the voice of Tony The Tiger in all of those tv commercials. He's been gone for several years, but was still going strong well into his mid-eighties...

Dan,

I was not aware that Thurl had passed away. I remember he was interviewed when the live-action Grinch came out that he was sort of dispappointed that he didn't get to do a cameo, but was NOT disappointed not to sing the Grinch song.

My favorite voice artist that I KNOW passed away was Paul Frees. There was a talent! All those Disney rides, Scrooge McDuck, the Jolly Green Giant and Pillsbury doughboy. A lot of people don't know that Mr Frees also directed an appeared in films as well...

--Mr Bill
long searching for Mr Frees' LP Paul Frees and the Poster People (MGM 1976).

Reports of Thurl's passing may be exaggerated. Dead-or-alive.org,updated just last week, has him alive at 88. Though I haven't seen an update since last summer,a webpage devoted to" All Things Thurl" reported news in Thurl's life, including a picture of Thurl and the webmaster taken in Feb.2001. A Google search will get you there. His music recording career has been quite prolific,including singing with the Johhny Mann Singers. Hey Bill,I saw a copy of the Frees record a couple of months ago-got quite excited till I saw the worthless condition of the vinyl inside. What a fun record! Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom