LANI HALL--DISCUSSES HER SINGING CAREER IN JAZZ TIMES

Discussion in 'Look Around: Sergio Mendes/Brazilian Music Forum' started by lj, Jan 15, 2019.

1. lj

lj Active Member Thread Starter

Intuitive Samba and DAN BOLTON like this.
  2. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

Great article. Thanks for posting the link.

3. lj

I like in the article where Dori Caymmi, composer of "Like a Lover," was delighted with Lani's recording of the song to help make it a pop standard. I have a hunch that among Brasil 66 fans their top two favorite songs from its repertoire would be "Like a Lover" and "Mas Que Nada."

4. lj

What I found most heartwarming from the article is how Lani always put her marriage and family ahead of her career. Try to find that in the show business today.

Bobberman likes this.
  5. Harry

"Like A Lover" has always been tops in my book.

Alternate mix found on FAMILY PORTRAIT:

Bobberman likes this.
  6. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    My big takeaway here:

I don't know how it would sell today, but there are many of us who would buy this in a heartbeat!

Intuitive Samba and Bobberman like this.
  7. lj

In the article, Lani told Sergio in late 1970 that she was quiting Brasil 66. Well I remember it was November 1970 and on the Tim Conway Show the group appeared without Lani--Karen and now Gracinha performed "Chelsea Morning." Does anyone know when Gracinha started to officially tour with the group without Lani? Was Gracinha slowly phased into the group for live performances in 1970?

8. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

Very true Lani Definitely has her priorities Right I couldn't agree more with the above quote

9. The photo looks like A&M's version of A Great Day IN Harlem.

Rudy likes this.
  10. TulitaPepsi

TulitaPepsi Active Member

Interesting that Lani seemingly did not disagree with Janis' description of Sergio's cavalier treatment of the group, and that Lani came close to leaving Brasil '66 very early on with the rest id the "Carnival" crowd.

Intuitive Samba likes this.
  11. TulitaPepsi

TulitaPepsi Active Member

A correction to the above: I wasn't reading carefully: Lani DID leave Brasil '66 with Janis & Co., but Herb convinced her to go back to Sergio. And though Sergio has gallantly soft-pedaled Lanis departure, it was understandably a cause of great friction between Sergio & Herb at the time. So glad those fences are long-mended (at the latest 1983, when Sergio & Herb collaborated on producing Lani's "Never Say Never Again") and all three are great friends and occasional collaborators again.

Intuitive Samba and Bobberman like this.
  12. Michael Hagerty

Michael Hagerty Active Member

This is also the first article where Lani openly admits that the relationship with Herb pre-dates his divorce. There have been conflicting timelines in their accounts over the years.

Bobberman likes this.
  13. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

I thought I understood they didn't become close until after Herb and His First wife separated I know Herb and Lani were Friends from the beginning but details notwithstanding Herb and Lani Are Still a Very Harmonious couple and I find that most encouraging

14. Michael Hagerty

Don't get me wrong---Herb and Lani were made for each other and no one's judging. I just have seen more than a few timelines in their interviews over the years (including one that said they didn't date until Herb's divorce was final). This one in Jazz Times feels right and makes sense.

Bobberman likes this.
  15. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    I know that as low key of a couple as they are, having a possible scandal on their hands if Herb was dating someone else prior to his divorce was probably something they would have wanted to avoid. All these decades later, it's non-issue now. :)

Bobberman likes this.
  16. Harry

Watch the BBC Four video at the 30:00 point:

Michael Hagerty likes this.
  17. Michael Hagerty

Great documentary---I need to watch it in its entirety. Interesting that at round 40:00 Herb says he was "nowhere near a breakdown". Yet, a year later, he and Lani call it exactly that in an interview with Los Angeles magazine:

Herb Alpert: Always in Tune Los Angeles Magazine

18. lj

Janis had said in the liner notes of the Carnival CD that the original Brasil 66 had been fired. Lani said they all quit. Perhaps there is a degree of truth in both accounts. We all remember the past differently. You can call this the fog of history. Recall how each of the former Beatles had different accounts of how and why the group broke up.

19. Michael Hagerty

Watched the documentary last night in its entirety---terrific!