Lani Hall - New Album Due

For what it's worth, my favorite version of the song has always been the one from Sergio's Vintage '74 album. And my favorite part of the song is the chant-thing they do at the end of it -- kind of reminds me a little of "Celebration of the Sunrise." The Garfunkel version would be my second favorite.

Didn't it also appear on one of Sergio's more recent albums?

I am likely to pass on this as I thought the cover of Seasons of Love, admittedly a hard tune to cover considering its iconic status - simply was not that good. Mind you, I like her voice. Instead of some of the tunes mentioned, I’d be more interested if Save the Sunlight or Come What May reappeared.

Waters of March is one of my favorite Jobim songs, and I agree with Mike Blakesley, who said "my favorite version of the song has always been the one from Sergio's Vintage '74 album."
A close second is Basia's version.

Tracks from Lani's new album:
1. Happy Woman
2. Seasons of Love
3. Lovely Day
4. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
5. Waters of March
6. You Are
7. No Te Vayas No (I Don't Want You to Go)
8. Now You Know
9. Sorri
10. Here Comes the Sun

Tracks from Lani's new album:
1. Happy Woman
2. Seasons of Love
3. Lovely Day
4. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
5. Waters of March
6. You Are
7. No Te Vayas No (I Don't Want You to Go)
8. Now You Know
9. Sorri
10. Here Comes the Sun

Also "No Te Vayas No"

I really wanted to love this. But I'd rather have BLUSH made available on Apple Music.

As for "Lovely Day", I wish she conveyed the joy of the song...instead it sounds like there's exactly one good thing in her life and it's Herb, which is lovely, but Bill Withers set a pretty high bar for just how good this made him feel. Herb's playing saves it for me.

Just my two cents, your mileage may vary and I hope if Herb and/or Lani are reading this that they have also read the 20 years of posts that make clear just how much I appreciate their talents, their music and their example as human beings. This one just isn't working for me.

I haven't listened to any of the online "drops" except the title track, and the CD arrived today, release day. If nothing else, the CD triple gatefold package is really nice. The tracks are ripping into the computer as I type this. It's good to see Bill Cantos' name all over this album's credits.

I listened to tracks online and opted for a hard pass. I love her work - would love a digital version of Blush - but her voice is not optimal on this record and even snippets of distinctive Herb trumpet can save it.

I've just listened to the album, and I really liked it. I think Lani's singing is very expressive and to me her interpretations add some new meaning to several of the lyrics. I also love the arrangements and the whole mood of the album. Herb's playing is great and very lyrical.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

I downloaded Lani Hall "Seasons Of Love" back on May 17 on Apple iTunes which runs 35:07 in total length. Just heard it for the first time this afternoon. The songs "Happy Woman" & "You Are" (NOT the Lionel Ritchie 1982 song) are my favorites. I do liked the original "I Don't Want You To Go" than the remake Spanish version.

Back
Top Bottom