Lani Hall SUN DOWN LADY mono

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
We're undergoing a re-painting of the interior of our house, so when it came time to do the family room, my CDs and LPs had to all be moved.

During the move from one room to another, I came across something I either didn't know I had, or acquired and forgot about: Lani Hall's SUN DOWN LADY as a white label mono promo.

It was filed in with the other stereo copies of the album - there's a hole punched in one corner, and "1.00" handwritten in the top right corner, suggesting that someone somewhere sold it for a dollar.

I stick it on the turntable briefly and noticed that "We Could Be Flying" sounded a little different - less dynamic range as if compressed for AM Radio, which is what the front sticker said. It's a bit like Herb's "Without Her" where the loud parts aren't as loud, and the soft parts are brought up in volume.

I still can't recall where I found this. It was probably a quicky eBay win that I filed and forgot about, but it was a nice find in my own collection!

Harry
...now, where did I leave the Alzheimer's medicine?, online...

Somehow copies of this I've seen and the one I've owned were Mono and boasted a SUITABLE FOR AM AIRPLAY sticker on them...

I really have yet to find a Stereo "stock copy", myself...

Dave

--Who remembers finding or "unearthing" a bunch of mostly DMP-label Jazz CD's which I forgot I stashed away...

I have a pair of stereo copies of this album. One is a tan label in merely "OK" condition, but it came with no jacket (just in a sleeve). The other is a white/silver 70s A&M label. The vinyl is trashed, but it had the jacket. So, I have a Frankenstein version I guess.

Rarely see any of her albums locally. I gave up looking years ago.

I seem to have acquired four copies of the SUN DOWN LADY LP. One is the aforementioned mono copy that I still have no recollection about its origin. It's a Monarch pressing with a date in the runoff groove of 6/30/72.

Then I have two white-label ochre-era pressings. Both were intented to have a hole cut in the upper left corner, but one didn't quite go through. You can see the impression of where the hole punch was attempted. Those two I picked up years ago when my first radio station was dumping its old MOR records to make room in the library for rock stuff.

When my current station did a similar purge about a decade ago, I obtained another copy of SUN DOWN LADY. This one's a stock copy in really first-class shape and sports a silver & tan label.

It wasn't until I splurged for the released-for-five-minutes Japanese CD that I actually paid for a copy of the album!

Harry

I've got two copies of SUNDOWN LADY, one being a stereo white label promo and the other a mono promo (MP 4359).

During 1972-74 A&M may have been the last label putting out mono promos, especially those double-sided 45 singles with stereo and mono versions of the same tune.

CRAZY LIFE by Gino Vannelli (MP 4395) is the latest mono promo I've seen. I spotted this in a flea market, unfortunately in too poor condition to buy for a dollar.

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom