Lani with Sergio or without Sergio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Great CD would be a compilation of Lani solo AND Brasil 66 stuff, after all, her voice was the signature of the band.
It could be 2 discs!

Aha! Got it!!

"The Carnival's starting today...and everyone waits for this NIGHT...the children will dance all the day...and sing all night..."

My Mom, who can decifer a lyric like no one I've ever known, confirmed that it's "Night" not "Sleigh".

Jon

...having a great NIGHT online and off...

Well, Jon, it's not nice to cross your Mother, but guess what? Festa is in the first Sergio songbook and the lyric is indeed "The carnival's starting today, and ev'ryone waits for the SLEIGH"!! I'm assuming the sleigh in this case would be a Carnaval Float.

Still sounds like "my ARMIES will be looking for you" to me, though! :)

I'm laughing!

Mom took one look at me, frowned and said, "Okay, Mr. Kauffman...if you say so...strike one for Mom!!" :oops:

Jon

...who still hears a 'Night' to your 'Armies'... :tongue:

Sorry JMK - I don't buy it - the songbook is wrong. I'm with Jon and Mom here having just listened carefully to the phrase in question. You can clearly hear a "t" sound at the end of the word, which favors "night" as opposed to "sleigh."

Harry
...with his two cents, online...

Like I said, don't blame me, I'm just the messenger. I'm still trying to get past Lani and Karen sending their armies after me!

I've made a scan of the lyric, if anyone can send me directions on how to upload it to the site, I'll post it. Remember, it was Jon (not me) who heard "sleigh". I was only confirming that's what the printed lyric says. I also just went to the headphones and it sounds like "sleigh" to me: you can definitely hear the "sl" sound.

JMK sent me the scan and here it is:

festalyric.jpg

I never had any doubt that the songbook has the word "sleigh" in it. But I still hear "night."

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Harry
...in a one-horse open sleigh, online...

JMK said:
Remember, it was Jon (not me) who heard "sleigh".

In the post that started this all, I mentioned someone as having said they heard the word "Sleigh" in the song... It was a long time ago. Besides, songbook or not, I've always heard "Night" on the line.

Thanks for sending the lyric photo, Jeff.

Jon

...with interest piqued, online...

We should start a whole thread about misheard lyrics. I know for years I wondered about the line of the first verse of Love Music, and only when I heard the Four Tops' version was able to finally understand it was "When the good in us all we *don't* mention" (Bonnie's "d" in "don't" doesn't come through very well, IMHO). And "magnetism" in "Hey Look at the Sun" threw me for an aural loop for quite some time. I think we already covered "Cinnamon and Clove" some time back, but I'll bet there are others!

Jeff is right...Bonnie had a 'lisp' which sometimes made it difficult to understand the lyrics. Interesting to note that it wasn't nearly as evident in a live venue, where her voice came through clear as a bell.

Jon

I always thought "One Note Samba" said "I have reached the farthest scale."

For years, I thought "Lost in Paradise" started off with "My little grasshopper at play." (With or without misheard lyrics, that song has some of the goofiest damn lyrics in history!)

In "Funny You Should Say That," I thought the line was "Tell me, did you read my letter?" (instead of "mind")

In "Sometimes In Winter," I thought the line was "I wish the empty streets (rather than streams would fill with laughter from your tears.

I have always wondered why in "Love Music" they changed the lyric to "A soulful melody your heart can hum" when the original lyric was "the whole world can hum." Although I guess it makes it fit the album theme a bit better.

"the carnival's starting today..."

even the that lyric sheet says "sleigh" does that make any sense? is there usually a sleigh at a brazilian carnival? is it like a parade float or something?

night makes no sense either, unless it was written by a particularly bad lyricist---i mean who rhymes "night" with "night"? ugh!

i've always heard it as "everyone waits for the sight..."

that makes the most sense to me.
rhymes with night, and can have many meanings when describing a carnival.

walty

To my mind, Lani is an amazing solo artist, but we shouldn't forget about her participation in Brasil 66. Lani's songs tell many interesting stories, don't they? Anyway, it doesn't matter if Lani takes part in Brasil 66 or is in her solo career, her voice will be always deep and mysterious!

brasil-boi said:
Yes....there are going to those of us that like Lani for her eccentricities!! I also like the way she concludes the ending of the song "Hello It's Me" by emphasizing the lyrices....."I'll spend the night if "I" think "I" Shoooouuuuullllddddd"
Really cool and confident!! LOVE IT !!

Lani's eccentricities will always be remembered. I'm with you, Brasil Boi

Hello Brasil 66 fans,

I am Jet Wintzer, huge fan and this is my first post. I lead an indie rock and roll band called Schizo Fun Addict and we are mixing our new single today, a big change of pace for us from psychedelic punk rock to psychedelic bossa nova/Baccarach pop. We're sick of our generation's music. After seeing Brasil 66 on You Tube doing The Wichita Linesman we became inspired and MY GAWD!!! don't those girls look good singing, the way Lani moves her head and the triumphant poses on the chorus. I weep for another time people, but we have to be here now so...let me share this with you

Go to youtube.com and search for Brasil 66 on Music Scene 1969

[Link removed by moderator - posting direct links to copyrighted material on YouTube is not allowed, but you can post directions on what to search for.)

If you haven't seen it yet, go back to a time when music was so incredible.

peace and love

Jet Wintzer for schizo fun addict

http://www.schizofunaddict.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom