"Lapinha" translation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TulitaPepsi

One of the best CD 'segues' is the seamless flow of "Upa, Neguinho" to "Lapinha" on FOOL ON THE HILL. I know what the "Upa, Negunho" lyrics translate as (an impassioned cry for minority freedoms). Does Lapinha" have a similar political message?

No translation is as surprising as "Viola"!

NP: "Lapinia" featuring Gracinha Leporael :D (hee hee)

Here's a start:

Chorus:
Quando eu morrer me eterrem na Lapinha, calça culote palitó almofadinha.
When I die bury me in Lapinha, riding breeches a suit coat and a little pillow.

Adeus Bahia, zum zum zum, cordão de ouro.
Eu vou morrer porque mataram o meu Bezouro.
Goodbye Bahia, zoom zoom zoom, cord of gold
I go to die because they killed my Bezouro.

Bezouro was a famous capoeirista from the late 19th century. He suposedly achieved "corpo fechado" (closed body) through mystical ritual. Corpo fechado protected him from being harmed by weapons. He was betrayed, and murdered with a specially prepared magical knife.
Lapinha is a section of São Paulo.
Bahia is the state where Bezouro was murdered.

Bloodshed and Drama? Brasil '66? Ah...come on now! :wink:

Jon

...amazed that sweet voices sing of such things -- and make them sound sensuous, online...

This has always been one of my favorite things about Brasilian music in general and Bossa Nova in particular--the subject matters are frequently at the completely opposite spectrum of what you might think from the music. Another testament to the great national genius of Brasilian songwriters.

You know guys...with that in mind I'll bet the elusive translation of YE-ME-LE has to do with praying to Yoruba for the destruction of the Portugese slave-traders who forced the Brazilian Indians and Black Africans into slave-labor camps from the seventeenth century onwards..

It's certainly a possible (even likely) scenario! :shock:

JMK said:
This has always been one of my favorite things about Brasilian music in general and Bossa Nova in particular--the subject matters are frequently at the completely opposite spectrum of what you might think from the music. Another testament to the great national genius of Brasilian songwriters.

Jeff -- I couldn't agree with you more. I greatly admire a songwriter who can make tragedy into something beautiful -- and that's typical of a Brasilian! My Portuguese instructor and dear friend, Serginho, often translates songs with his guitar. What you expect to hear in the translation is (most often) not what you get. Again, a testament to the incredible and talented songwriters of Brasil. :wink:

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom