Last Carpenters album appearance of Bob Messenger

From This Moment On

Hi
I was skipping back and forth on Wiki looking at the credits on the later Carpenters albums and was surprised to learn that Bob Messenger last appeared on Live At The Palladium. Can anyone confirm this please?

The last album he was credited on that was released while Karen was still with us was Christmas Portrait, on sax, and contributed vocals on Sleigh Ride. The last thing he played on chronologically was Music Music Music, on I Got Rhythm and one more track that I can't remember. He played both bass guitar and flute on selected recordings for the special, however.

The last album he was credited on that was released while Karen was still with us was Christmas Portrait, on sax, and contributed vocals on Sleigh Ride. The last thing he played on chronologically was Music Music Music, on I Got Rhythm and one more track that I can't remember. He played both bass guitar and flute on selected recordings for the special, however.

He did appear on the 3 music videos filmed in June 1981: "Touch Me When We're Dancing", "Those Good Old Dreams", and "Beechwood-45789". I don't recall if he was on stage at the Japanese telethon in August 1981 or on the Merv Griffin telecast.

He did appear on the 3 music videos filmed in June 1981: "Touch Me When We're Dancing", "Those Good Old Dreams", and "Beechwood-45789". I don't recall if he was on stage at the Japanese telethon in August 1981 or on the Merv Griffin telecast.

You are correct. I believe the OP was referring to recordings, however.

Members of a touring band are not always utilized in-studio. We learned that from the Tijuana Brass recordings back in the 60s.

Members of a touring band are not always utilized in-studio. We learned that from the Tijuana Brass recordings back in the 60s.

Indeed, Mr. Harry. This has been my experience working with various bands over the years. Sometimes I'd play on tour but they'd have someone else in mind for the studio, and vice versa. There are countless reasons and they're rarely personal.

Welcome to the Boards Joan. We certainly appreciate all of Bob’s contributions to Carpenters sound recordings, concerts, videos, etc. from the beginning to the end. I met him one time at Richards Christmas Concert in Orange County, in the 80’s. Thank you.

Hi, John. Bob was on stage for the Japanese telethon. My memory tells me that he played a live solo on sax for the instrumental break of ‘Touch Me When We’re Dancing’, after the power outage.

Back
Top Bottom