Lawyers make me nervous...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I will be calling the song "Senor Baja". Everyone here at the Corner will know what I'm talking about and that is what counts to me. Lawyers make me nervous.

Question: I am releasing a CD in the next few weeks. I want to title an original instrumental piece using the last name of a deceased musician that I have always highly respected. Do I need permission from the family? Sincerely, Jay

Lawyer Answer: That's a difficult question to answer without knowing more information. Perhaps the most important piece of information is where this musician was living at the time of his death. It may be that any relevant rights were extinguished when he died. On the other hand, some states (notably, CA) provide for a post-mortem right of publicity. The fact that your song is an instrumental works against you since you can't contend that the song is "about" the person. If you are releasing your CD through a record company, the record company attorneys should address the issue. If you're self-releasing, better to pay a few hundred bucks for an opinion from an attorney than to roll the dice and risk being sued for a bundle.

Jay, save your money. Just write a nice letter to the family detailing your plans and ask if they'd have any objection. When you get the reply ("we'd be honored, sure, go ahead") keep it on file for future reference.
As "compensation" you might offer to donate a portion of your proceeds to the charity of the deceased's family's choice.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom