Least Favourite Track From Each Album

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Maybe It's You... Graeme, maybe it IS you! (He says with a wink and a nod, not malice)... I always thought that one was a pretty number... Embarrassing admission alert: I always thought as a kid - and really, until kindf recently, that Karen was singing about the Ocean "king"... Not realizing the ocean came rising on the rocks... I just accepted this dude came out of the ocean! A Mer-man, as it were... Ahh, to be 10 again...
I thought it was "ocean king" too until your post! Okay, it makes far more sense now! :) Now I'll have to issue with the song due to poor annunciation of "came". I'm not keen on the line "Isn't it nice to talk about the special way that you smile whenever I'm around" either.

<<<I can't help thinking there would be more interesting things to talk about on a romantic stroll.
>>>
Very funny - and very true!!

<<<Now I'll have to issue with the song due to poor annunciation of "came">>>
So - How many folks have thought that Karen was searching for this illusive Ocean King???

pic17FBC6B4BDFF01636A7871F380784D28.jpg

Amusingly, I listened to many different artist versions of
Man Smart, Woman Smarter......
It is not Karen and Richard's interpretation of the song which I dislike,
it is simply the song itself---performed by anybody !
Quite frankly, the duo did with it the best they could under the constraints
of the genre they were working with !
Out of the myriad versions I have listened to....Karen and Richard's version gets my vote !
That being said, there are seven others on Passage I prefer listening to !

I still think it's "the ocean king".

"Rising on the shore, the ocean came...walks among the waves of velveteen...his only thought is love for me."

In this line, who is "he"? "Walks among the waves of velveteen" is not a complete sentence either.

"Rising on the shore, the ocean king walks among the waves of velveteen...his only thought is love for me."

To me, this makes more sense. Who is "the ocean king"? Perhaps a metaphor for Karen's lover.

EDIT: Unless "walks" is a noun instead of a verb. "(We're taking) walks among the waves of velveteen."

I always wondered if it was "the ocean clean" or "the ocean king". Even with headphones I couldn't make it out.

The lyric books are also confused about this, in the 35th anniv box set from Japan it says:
Rising on the shore
The ocean came

while the Treasures 2 CD Set from Japan (this contains the remix Richard did with the DX-7) the lyrics say:
Rising on the shore
The ocean's King

I personally believe Karen is singing, the ocean came and the he is that's it's just a love song. We should also remember that this song was written in 1968 but another great question to ask Richard...hint hint Chris May :) this is urgent stuff!! :laugh:

The lyric books are also confused about this, in the 35th anniv box set from Japan it says:
Rising on the shore
The ocean came

while the Treasures 2 CD Set from Japan (this contains the remix Richard did with the DX-7) the lyrics say:
Rising on the shore
The ocean's King
Chris: I don't mean any disrespect to the Japanese (who continue to be awesome Carpenters' fans), but I wouldn't trust any English lyrics translated by the Japanese. As a karaoke enthusiast for many years, as we've discussed previously, I have seen some incredible, yet inaccurate, lyrics on the screen, particularly from foreign manufacturers. Here's one example: From the song, "Wildfire" (1975) by Michael Martin Murphey:
Actual lyrics: "We're gonna leave sodbustin' behind"
Lyrics on screen: "We're gonna leave South Boston behind." (And then what? Ride the horse Wildfire from South Boston back to Nebraska and Yellow Mountain? :))
In defense of the manufacturer, who knows what is meant by "sodbustin?" Even in the United States. Yet I got quite a laugh at that one! Even at Internet lyrics sites, mistakes abound!

There are tons of mis-quoted lyrics in Japanese CD releases. Sometimes they're hilarious -- in the Japanese CD of Sergio Mendes' Pais Tropical, in the Eric Clapton song "After Midnight," the line "peaches and cream" is listed as "bitches and queens."

I personally think the Carpenters song does say "ocean king." That makes sense in the rest of the verse; "the ocean came" makes no sense when attached to the line following. And if there's one thing John Bettis did NOT do, it's write lyrics that make no sense!

who knows what is meant by "sodbustin?" Even in the United States.
You must be a city dweller. Out here in Montana probably everybody you'd meet knows what "sodbustin'" means. It means to bust sod, which is break the ground up for planting by using a plow.

I am 55-years old, and grew up with all Carpenter's releases. Their albums truly are the soundtracks of my childhood, high-school, and college years....even into the early courtship/marriage and subsequent early years of my children's lives. Each album, as well as each single, can immediately transport me back to a particular time in my life. My kids grew up singing along with "Sing" in their car seats, and I now believe that their holidays will always include Carpenter's Christmas music, just as mine still include Percy Faith, Ray Conniff, and Singer Unlimited Christmas music from wonderful memories of the 60's & 70's. I continue to play multiple Carpenter's playlists relentlessly, and they will always remain my favorite recording artists of all time. However, as Michael W. Smith wrote in one of his earliest songs, "into every life a little rain must fall"....

Offering/Ticket to Ride
- "All I Can Do" - I still enjoy this album immensely, love their early "raw" sound.....hard to choose, but this would be my least favorite.
Close to You - "Reason to Believe" - even with the subsequent video release, still don't have an appreciation for it.
Carpenters - TIE...."Druscilla Penny" and "Saturday". Skip, skip, skip, skip.....
A Song for You - "Piano Picker" - the only weak link in this entire album. The acapella chords over-ride the lyrics of "Intermission".
Now & Then - "Jambalaya" - I great up in the South, but even after 40-years, still can't appreciate this one.
Horizon - my FAVORITE album, but "Desperado"....dragging....dragging....dragging...
A Kind of Hush - "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" - my worst pick for our beloved duo EVER, even worse than "Goofus". Oh, to have had the slow version....
Passage - "Man Smart, Woman Smarter" - still embarrassed by this one. I also took a lot of grief in high school, deservedly-so....after the SPACE ENCOUNTERS TV-special aired.
Made in America - "Somebody's Been Lyin'" - I would take the other MIA clunker, "Because We Are in Love", over this track any day....
Voice of the Heart - "Sailing on the Tide" - just a weak, weak, cut....
Lovelines - "Slow Dance" - this song, like "Breaking up is Hard to Do", actually makes me cringe.
As Time Goes By - "Close Encounters/Star Wars Medley - fine for the times, but no appeal at all for lasting value.
Christmas Portrait & Old Fashioned Christmas - NONE - I still savor them all....and wish there were more.

Last edited:
Yes I agree James regarding the translation however my point was that even Japan used it 2 different ways much like we are divided here about what it's really saying so in this case not so much a language barrier issue in that it's hard to tell what Karen is singing came or king. I listened to all the versions I have of this song with headphones and I just don't hear Karen ending the word in "g".

In fact, we had a member here with "OceanKing" as their handle for a short time back in 2002 - and I always though it was "king".

However, "came" is correct according to the sheet music:

scan0006.jpg

A good future question for John Bettis!

Harry

I didn't think to check my music books. If it's really not ocean king...sorta a let down because that is such a cool phrase to place into a song especially when we're talking about the ocean, shore etc...it sorta fits into all that 60's vibe stuff reminds me of the lyrics "and he's a boy from the good old earth and the high tree forest" :laugh:

• Lovelines, yeah - I have found myself wanting to like that one... I have never been enthralled with the lyrics, (what is a love-line?), the jumpy melody, and obviously, the title. Surprised Richard chose that one to title an album...

The word 'lovelines' has always bugged me too. A 'love line' either refers to one of the lines on the palm of your hand (indicating your emotional nature) or it can be a romantic line, the type that people pen for sweethearts in Valentine's cards. So the lyric "you're on my lovelines and that's alright with me" probably refers to the former...unless she's singing about radio waves she's picking up or something :laugh:

Last edited:
Rising on the shore
The ocean came

Rising on the shore
The ocean's King

The Japanese are famed for getting the lyrics wrong, because they're hearing them phonetically. I think it's the By Request compilation that features some hilarious clunkers, I'll have to try and dig them out.

The word 'lovelines' has always bugged me too. A 'love line' either refers to one of the lines on the palm of your hand (indicating your emotional nature) or it can be a romantic line, the type that people pen for sweethearts in Valentine's cards. So the lyric "you're on my lovelines and that's alright with me" probably refers to the former...unless she's singing about radio waves she's picking up or something :laugh:
That's funny, because I thought it was "You ARE my loveline". Duh. I hate when I find out I've been singing stupid. :rolleyes: Love Jimmy Fallon -
Warning: there is one swear word and reference that may offend some in this excerpt from the Tonight Show.

There used to be radio programs in the US at night that called themselves "Lovelines." Typically it was people dedicating songs to their special someone. It's possible that the title and lyrics refer to something like that - at least that's what I always thought.

Then again, I never pay much attention to lyrics anyway.

Harry

Ticket: All Can Do
Close: Kept On Lovin u
CarpenterS: Driscilla/ Sometimes
Song: Piano Picker
N&T: Sing
Horizon: Happy
Hush: I Have U
Passage: Man Smart
Christmas Portrait: Silent Night
Old Fash Xmas: I Heard the Bells
MIA: Because We're in Love
Voice: Make believe...
Lovelines: Little Girl Blue
ATGB: Nowhere Man
Time: That's What I Believe
KC Solo: Still in Love With U

Like pulling teeth...however some were a no brainer.

Jeff

THE DIRTY DOZEN

Fun,Fun,Fun
Da Doo Ron Ron
Deadman's Curve
Postman
Happy
Hush
Calling Occupants
Sweet Sweet Smile
Man Smart,Woman Smarter
Beechwood
Sailing On The Tide
Rainbow Connection

As with everyone else, least favorite does not mean dislike.

Offering/Ticket to Ride: "Invocation" and/or "Benediction" - I love every song on this album so I'm picking these based only the fact that they are more of an intro/outro versus a full length song.

Close to You
: "Crescent Noon" - Also hard to pick least favorite from this album. I actually really like this song but chose it because it does kind of drag in places.

Carpenters
: "Sometimes" - Karen's performance on this is flawless, but as a song, the free form lyrics make the melody seem a little disjointed to me.

A Song for You
: "Bless the Beasts and the Children" - Nothing specific against this song, it's just never been one of my favorites. Back in my early days of fandom when I only had the Yesterday Once More compilation album, this was the one song I usually skipped about halfway through.

Now and Then
: "Heather" - This a pretty piece of music, but it has always made me scratch my head as to why they recorded it. Carpenters were a vocal group and it was Karen's voice they people were buying their records to hear. Why on Earth they decided to include this random instrumental track on an album at this stage of the game is beyond me. "Flat Baroque" from A Song For You made a certain amount of sense because it was a Richard Carpenter composition and also worked well as the intro into "Piano Picker." That one-two punch was Richard's big, shining moment on that album. "Heather" is, to me, the biggest oddity in their catalog. It is neither a Karen vocal nor a Richard composition, so there is nothing that really makes it a "Carpenters" song.

Horizon
: "Aurora" and/or "Eventide" - Same reason as "Invocation"/"Benediction" above.

Kind of Hush
: "Boat To Sail" - Again, not a bad song by any means, but if I had to pick one this would be it. Was a toss up between that and "One More Time." I really love all the other songs on this album, "Goofus" included. :)

Passage
: "B'wana She No Home" - I've said it many times before and I will say it again. Hate this song! This is my least favorite Carpenters track across the board.

Made in America
: "Because We Are In Love" - Even by Carpenters' standards this song is way too schmaltzy and melodramatic. It also takes way too long to "get going" with the long introduction. The actual song doesn't even really "kick in" until over 2 minutes into it. I actually love it from that point on (starting at "Because you are in love..."), but all that "mama, I'm afraid," "I didn't sleep at all last night," etc. before that is like some really bad showtune that ended up getting cut from a show.

Voice of the Heart
: "You're Enough" - Not bad, but definitely the weakest song on the album. Given the much stronger tracks that showed up later on Lovelines, I can only assume this made the cut simply because it was a Carpenter/Bettis song.

Lovelines: "Honolulu City Lights" - This was the only song on Lovelines that I just couldn't get into from day one and it still hasn't grown on me in all these years.

As Time Goes By: "Close Encounters/Star Wars Medley" - It's nice that Richard included this since it was from a TV special, but I honestly can't say I've listened to it more that two or three times. Other than the initial novelty of it when the album was released, I've never had any interest in this track.

Interesting idea from Harry to listen to this list of all of your least favourites from each album. Might give it a go, although looking at the list I've compiled, don't think it would be a very enjoyable experience...

Offering: Turn Away - aimless song and flat performance.
Close to You: Help - arrangement just doesn't work.
Carpenters: Druscilla Penny - disposable filler that lets down an otherwise near-perfect album.
A Song for You: Piano Picker - ditto. Also a much flatter performance than the one on Live at the Palladium.
Now and Then: Deadman's Curve - there are a few I'm not fond of on this album, but this is probably the weakest.
Horizon: Solitaire - leaden and draggy.
A Kind of Hush: Goofus - silly and pointless novelty song.
Passage: Man Smart, Woman Smarter - horrible song. Probably the worst they ever recorded.
Made in America: When You've Got What it Takes - vapid song and insipid production.
Voice of the Heart: At the End of a Song - OK but rather listless.
Lovelines: Little Girl Blue - good vocal but overblown production drags it down.

Looking at this list goes to show that they didn't manage to produce a perfect album, although Carpenters and A Song for You came close. There is some variation in the quality of the weakest songs too - I could listen to Solitaire or At the End of a Song, but would always skip most of the others.

So far our collective top dislikes-

OFFERING - ORIGINAL TICKET TO RIDE
CTY- 3 WAY TIE HELP/CRESCENT/LOVING YOU
CARPENTERS -PENNY
AS4U-PIANO PICKER
NOW AND THEN- HEATHER
HORIZON - 4 WAY TIE -DESP/HAPPY/DREAM/AURORA/EVENTIDE
AKOH - BREAKING UP
PASSAGE- MAN SMART. . .BY A LANDSLIDE
MIA-BECASUE WE ARE IN LOVE
VOH- YOU'RE ENOUGH/TWO LIVES
LOVELINES -LITTLE GIRL BLUE

Interesting. Only 3 of mine match with the above 11. The almost uniform dislike for Little Girl Blue is the only thing that really suprised me. . .that and You're Enough being some people's worst song. The arrangement (excluding the catchy opening piano and closing horn sections) and bg vocals are rather weak, I'll give you that. . .but her vocal and the composition itself I find really strong.

This thread keeps me thinking !
Note the number of these tunes which aired on Television Specials:
Goofus and Man Smart, Woman Smarter on the 1978 Space Encounters.
Saturday on the 1973 Robert Young Special.
Little Girl Blue on the 1980 Music, Music, Music (although, recorded for the third special).

And, how often was Piano Picker performed in front of live audiences !
And, of course, Because We Are In Love, making its debut in August 1980, to those attending Karen's Wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom